Roles at site level / Course level.

Roles at site level / Course level.

by Alistair Gill -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

Ive used a third party mod in order to show / hide blocks at site level. In order to work this I created a new role named "Staffmember" so that only members of staff could see a staff notices block I created.

Unfortunately this role currently gives "Course Creator" role to all my members of staff at a site level. Not very secure!!

Ive recently duplicated my "Staffmember" Role to make "Staffmember_test" with which I am tweaking permissions so that I can cut back on what staff can effect at site level.

Now as soon as I edit the permission "Allowed to do everything" my test-teacher user assigned as a course creator on a test course cannot access their own course, they are told they are "about to enroll on the course are they sure?" clicking yes simply points the user back to the enroll message.

I was under the impression that at site level my staff members would use the "Staffmember" role and that this would then be over-ridden by the course-creator / teacher role at course level. Is this true? or am I looking at it the wrong way around? (IE: The staffmember role ive assigned globally over-rides the teacher / course-creator role the user has been assigned to at course level?)

Roles have confuzzled me.
Thanks,
Al
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alistair Gill

Re: Roles at site level / Course level.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alistair,

Firstly, please note that the capability moodle/site:doanything is very powerful and carries a lot of risk if assigned to any role other than the admin role.

Also, assigning a user the role of course creator in a course context does nothing at all. A
user may only be assigned the role of course creator as a global role or in a course category context (see the course creator documentation).

Instead of using a third-party plugin, perhaps you could go for a simpler solution, such as hiding the staff notices block and assigning staff members the front page role of teacher.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alistair Gill -
Helen,

Thanks very much for your reply!

I'll try using the suggested method of hiding the block and using the frontpage roles.

Alistair
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alistair Gill -
Ok,

I set up my dummy user so that they have the front page role of teacher.

My block is hidden.

In order to view the block the user must "turn editing on" on the front page and then unhide the block in order to see its contents rather than just its header bar.

This unfortunately seems to unhide the block for anyone viewing the Front Page.

All my teaching members of staff require the block, so all my teachers would then have the rights to configure and edit the front page, which isnt ideal.

That's assuming I've set up the block and user as you intended.

I made the block hidden by adding it and then clicking the "Eye" button. I made my user a front page teacher through Site Administration->Front Page->Front Page Roles.

Any ideas?

Using moodle 1.8.2+ here.

ps: thanks again for all the help!!
In reply to Alistair Gill

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh, sorry for misleading you. You're right about the hidden block. I was thinking of the staff notices being in a hidden section or label in the centre column, though as you point out, it's not ideal to give all staff the rights to edit the front page.

The only other thing I can suggest is to wait for Moodle 1.9, which includes the useful capability moodle/block:view.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alistair Gill -
Hi,

Again thanks for your help.

This is possibly leaning toward the development area now, but here goes.

Is there anyway to pass a variable, perhaps using "User profile fields", to state whether or not this person is a staff member?

This variable could then be chcked for by the block and its content adjusted accordingly.

-Alistair