Bullying Button

Bullying Button

by Deborah Bootle -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to add a button or link to the front page of Moodle that will allow pupils to report incidences of ill-treatment or bullying directly to the person responsible for pastoral care?

This would be a great feature that would make it easier for pupils to report events from the privacy of their own homes (maybe with the support of parents?) and remove the risk of being seen in an appointment with a teacher.  I recall reading that some schools have already done this.

Any feedback gratefully received

DB

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Bootle

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

Re: Bullying Button

by John Isner -
If a pupil is being bullied using Moodle as the medium (either in forums or through messaging), the pupil could easily message you with a reference to the offending messages or posts. I'm not sure you can do anything about bullying that takes place outside of Moodle (e.g., cell phone instant messages, posting on social networking sites) because you can't so easily substantiate it.

Edit: Ralf's post beat me to it!

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sure, you could have several possible selections. Pick your target student then choose whether to e.g. send them several offensive emails, or harass them every time they log into Moodle, or perhaps offer a convenient way to distribute embarrassing cameraphone videos to all other students...

OH WAIT you mean to REPORT bullying, not carry it out... smile

I agree with others that the messaging facility would probably address this need. One possibility might be to have a link (a 'bullying button') on the home page to a resource page. The resource page could then offer general advice as well as instructions (or a direct link if possible?) on how to use the messaging facility to contact a teacher. You can do this without needing any software development.

--sam

by ben reynolds -
As Sam said, this can be done.
1. open messaging
2. add whoever will receive the message about bullying to your contact list
3. copy the link to that contact (this link has a tool tip that reads "send a message to NAME"). The link will look something like
http://domainname.org/message/discussion.php?id=736
4. create a resource page
5. create any instructions, comments, etc.
6. while in the body of the page, create the link.

We use a "panic" button in our socializing space. If somebody says something that upsets somebody else, they can message the moderator. If the moderator is not logged in, the message is emailed to the moderator.