"Discussions around a document" - plug in or similar to do this?

"Discussions around a document" - plug in or similar to do this?

by Rena P -
Number of replies: 9
I am working on a course at the moment where I would like participants to be able to upload a document (in this case a lesson plan) and then be able to comment on each others' work.

It's kind of a "discussions around a document" idea - I don't want people to be commenting directly in the document; they would comment in a forum or similar.

I believe there is a block (or something!) that will do this in Moodle, blush but haven't been able to find one in my searches.

thoughtful Has anyone got any pointers?

Cheers,

Rena
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rena P

Re: "Discussions around a document" - plug in or similar to do this?

by john kuti -
Hi Rena,
(remember me?)
maybe just a forum with attachment size set suitably?
or
For a more complex arrangement, try workshop - which gives time-limits for peer assessment.

In reply to john kuti

by Rena P -
Hi John! smile

Wow, of course I remember you!!! Hope life is treating you well! wink

It's true that I hadn't thought of the workshop idea, probably because I never really use it! blush I'll take a look at it and see if it will do the job.

I was searching for this particular block because someone had used it on a previous course and found it quite good (well, actually she said it was functional but a bit clunky ...), but she can't remember the name of it. I think it might be a bit of a wild goose chase, but thought I'd see if it rang any bells with anyone in the wider Moodle community!

Thanks for the tip,

Rena
In reply to Rena P

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Rena,

I had a similar situation and found that the Database module applied correctly does this almost perfectly. Students can post a document (or images or whatever), others can critique, teachers can assess. Still a couple of important changes not implemented in 1.8 though, such as getting the grades from the database entry into the gradebook, but this is apparently going to be fixed in 1.9.

Hope this helps!

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Rena P -
Hi Mark

This is an excellent tip, thanks! smile I'll have play around and see if this does what I need.

It seems a much more sensible way for a group of students to give peer assessments of work than using something like the "comments" feature in Word etc.

I checked out the video at http://treadwell.cce.cornell.edu/moodle_doc/database_moodle/index.html (a link from the Moodle Docs page) and the tutorial is a great way to get an understanding of how it could work and how to set it up! smile I'm so happy you suggested this - it would never have occured to me to add a database module for a peer revision activity! clown

Much appreciated,

Rena wink

In reply to Rena P

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Rena,

No problem, I think the database activity often gets overlooked for things like this which is a shame as its a great way to build a template for responses and get students to peer review each other's work.

Cheers,

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Ger Tielemans -

Mark,

do you have more examples (screendumps?) so we could get a better impression of the hidden Power?

Thanks in advance, Ger

In reply to Rena P

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Try the OU wiki plugin, developed by my colleage Sam. It has excellent facilities for commenting on a page (document) or just a section.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rena P -
Another excellent suggestion, thanks Tim! smile

P.S. I'm a huge fan of the OU stuff, and encourage loads of people to check out the free materials at http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/ - well done to OU! wink
In reply to Rena P

by Ger Tielemans -

I still hope that good old D3E from OU England, supporting forum discussion on paragraph level of the document left of the discussion will be revamped as a Moodle Module instead of the current version as a standalone application: 
http://www-jime.open.ac.uk/2005/01/

For technical details:
http://d3e.sourceforge.net/index.html