Discussion: The new way that Gradebook 1.9 Beta 2 is handling averages

Re: Discussion: The new way that Gradebook 1.9 Beta 2 is handling averages

by Gary Anderson -
Number of replies: 0
Anthony - I agree with you that the old behavior of counting ungraded assignments as zero should be an option. But I think that you would also agree with the case that I have been making in the tracker, that in most cases and by default, it is best to simply not factor ungraded assignments into the grade at all. This is especially the case for activities due in the future and when the teacher has not yet marked them. And it can avoid the whole uncategorized category with zero weight that we have had to hack with, and the lock hide unlock cycle in most cases, etc. Exempting processes can also be avoided-- you just put "exempt" in the comment until, and if, you decide to put in a score.
I can imagine that courses taught with the topic format (rather than the default weekly format) and where all activities were set in advance of the start of the course may want a "count up to completion" scoring system where activities count as zero until graded. But for courses taught over the time domain (like in schools and hybrid classes) or where activities are added during the progress of the course, it is best to not factor unmarked assignments into the overall grade.

Now I need to get back to preparing my final exams so that I can bring my fall trimester courses to a close this weeksmile

--Gary
Gary Anderson
Math Department Chair
Seattle Academy