Alert to Things Ready To Evaluate/Grade

Alert to Things Ready To Evaluate/Grade

by Mary Rydesky -
Number of replies: 3
I love the setting that shows me how many new posts in a Forum are waiting for me to read. Its grid points to how many postings for each topic are ready. Is there such a grid that shows all the assignments and quizzes for a course with the newly submitted, but not-yet-graded items highlighted? Sure would be useful in preventing a daily trawling of all submissions for each assignment in a team-taught course.

We use assignments liberally - several will be due each day. Ways to make it efficient in seeing what the instructors need to respond to are what I am looking for - anyone have any tips?

In reply to Mary Rydesky

Re: Alert to Things Ready To Evaluate/Grade

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Mary!
I think there are some add in blocks that help with this. Sometimes, I go to the mymoodle page and it tells me how many assignments I have get to grade! But without a third party block, you are right about having to just go look. It gets wearisome when you have lots of folks on a very relaxed timeline!!

Perhaps you would like to take a look at some of these contributions.
Moodlegrader and marking block look promising.

You did see that things that have changed in the assignment grading interface usually get highlighted in orange (well it is orange in my theme!)? This helps when a student re-submits something.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Mary Rydesky -
Well, you have tipped me to several items of interest...I do not have the mymoodle block installed but think I should. And I looked at the marking block, but its link to documentation for 1.8 is faulty. So another day or two will pass before I try anything. The new gradebook (in 1.9) looks interesting...I am constantly creating spreadsheets and think that a few of the new features will cut both keystrokes and time. Now on to my other quest - a way to have all blocks closed as the default and a way to move blocks without creeping one move at a time. I love how easily one can move resources within a course...and dread adding and moving a block to a new course due to this arrow up down limitation.

But back to grades - we have a curriculum of about 17 courses. I counted assignments and quizzes for first 6 and have roughly 115 grading tasks per student. Do you know - is that typical (or insane?) Either way, it would be good to simplify the task...

MMR

In reply to Mary Rydesky

by A. T. Wyatt -
My Moodle is not a block. It is sort of an overview page that you can access by going to http://yourmoodle/my

I put a link on my front page to allow people selective access. You can force it as a redirect, but I did not want to do that.

I tend to take a lot of grades myself. Some people don't! I do try to make some things little 5 pointers, so I can grade those quickly. For the quizzes, much of that is graded automatically. Maybe it depends on your subject matter! I teach in a hybrid situation, so Moodle is important to me but I still see my students in a classroom also!

I don't see how moving a block could be any different than moving a resource! It looks the same to me on my end. Easier because I only have 4 on a side; topics, I have up to 20! If you enable ajax, it might help you. We have a windows box, so have been unsuccessful with using it. Hopefully when we upgrade, we will have that feature!

Good luck to you--
atw