Starting a Moodle soon

Starting a Moodle soon

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 11

I will be starting to build my moodle site in at the middle of June and am wondering How long it takes to add content and how difficult it is to configure the content to match/supplement what is taught in the classroom. I am specifically looking for information for teaching EFL. Tips and suggestions from current langauge teachers about what worked with moodle and what didn't work for you now and in the past.

Hopefully I'll be able to avoid any serious blunders with my students. I'm not concerned with installation, though I do think moodle is more complicated than other CMS's I have installed. The need to set up a cron job for instance - every forum and portal I have installed will automatically send out emails without a need to set up cron. why not moodle?

I am also interested in finding other langauge teachers with blogs about teaching. The blog can be related to moodle or not.

Blinger http://blinger.org

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: Starting a Moodle soon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
> every forum and portal I have installed will automatically send out emails without a need to set up cron. why not moodle?

Because Moodle sends the emails out some period AFTER the post is made.  Other forums send out notices immediately, giving you no time to edit and rework the post. Cron is also used for a lot of automated background work, such as creating RSS feeds, cleaning up old users, making unattended backups etc etc
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -
Another solution you often see are forums with a preview function before you send.
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Barry McMullin -
Yeah ... I generally much prefer that approach. It has the added advantage that once you "commit" a posting, it goes to email subscribers immediately... On the other hand, that is also its disadvantage. One function of the 30 minute (or whatever) delay on Moodle is, I presume, to allow for "cooling off" ("Ooops - I really should not have said that ... Aaahhhh - I still have time to tone it down - great!").
In reply to Sean S

by Mark Hughes -

I can't count even begin to count the hours....and if I did I think it'd make me want to cry....the thing I wish I had done differently is to bite off smaller chunks of a year than I did....e.g. create four courses (one for each quarter) per section....and only worry about a quarter of a year at a time. 9 weeks is far less intimidating than 36...and much easier to change. Lay out the main topics first, and fill in the little stuff as you go along....it doesn't all have to be ready at the get-go.

I think the biggest change that came about for me was a pedagogy shift. It's very tempting, and very easy to use Moodle to replace paper-and-pencil tasks in the course. But if that's all you use it for, you're not getting the most out of it. The realy beauty comes from the forums and other interactive assignments. Those activites that allow the students to interact with you and their peers are where the best learning occurs. Here's some things I took away from participants in a course taught by Dr. Scott Price (who is a silent moodler in the Fullerton, Ca. School District moodle at http://moodle.fjuhsd.k12.ca.us) (these aren't necessarily things that he taught...just things I jotted in a notebook during class discussions)

1. Students should write about four times more material than you can ever grade. "Thoughts are not merely expressed in words; they come into existence through them" -- Lev. S. Vgotsky

2. Keep peer grading to a minimum on essays and the such....people who don't know how to write aren't going to learn a great deal from a bunch of other people who don't know how to write.

3. Require participation -- everyone has to make a first round post by midnight Tuesday....and you've got to respond to two other people's posts by midnight Friday (or whenever)

4. Make an agreement with your students not to use webslang B4 it Bcomes a problem. Also require high contrast fonts that are easy to read

There's a group called the International Society for Technology in Education that publishes a journal called Leading and Learning in technology. You might enjoy the attached files.

Now, with that business dispensed with, on to the other stuff "I do think moodle is more complicated than other CMS's ....every forum and portal I have installed will automatically send out emails without a need to set up cron. why not moodle?" them's is figtin' words pilgrim

Sure, there is a learning curve when using any software....but Moodle is about as easy as they come. Once you get the hang of it, you can create a new site from scratch on a properly equipped server in 'roud about 10 minutes. You've only got to edit about seven lines in one file...it doesn't get much easier than that. You want a pain, try installing http://plainblack.com WebGUI (the stuff Reuters and Yahoo uses). And the support forums are supportted to a ridiculous extent by people who want to give back to the project. If Martin was any other type of guy, we'd all be paying through the nose to use it, and I tell you, most of us would be happy to do it. There's a fella that lurks about named Zig (Zbignew I believe) who created a script that turns algebra equation into graphics....so the math teachers who write @@f(x,y)=x^2/(3+y)@@ and have it turn into a nicely formatted graphic on the fly....good luck finding another CMS that can do that.....anywhere else, that'd cost you thousands of dollars to get done and take people months to do it. Zig had it from concept to the first working version in about 2 days. There's a synergy in Moodle that you won't find elsewhere.

The cron task isn't too intimidating once you get in to it....and again, it's something you can set and walk away from, never to worry about it again. There's good documentation for it and if you get stuck, there are people here to help you. But I think once you get into it, you'll end up saying "that's it?"

"every forum and portal I have installed will automatically send out emails without a need to set up cron. why not moodle?" -- I believe what you said here...because lots of CMS are severly crippled in what they can do. While you might not have had to set up cron on those systems, how many of them would automatically back themselves up nightly? Or give you 30 minutes to edit your post before shuffling it off. Also, how many of them automatically maintained the database by deleting obsolete users? Cron makes your life easier...much, much easier.

And if you do have troubles....post 'em.....the likelihood is that someone will know how to help.

Mark

In reply to Mark Hughes

by Joyce Smith -
Hi Mark
What some really great advice smile smile hope you don't mind me copying it to a bunch of Learnscopers down under ??
The attached primer is also fantastic thanks heaps smile

cheers
Joyce
In reply to Mark Hughes

by Drew Buddie -

Mark,

As a teacher just starting out on the Moodle journey (withthe FANTASTIC assistance of Sean Keogh) I would like to thannk you for that superb advice.  The quotes give me more ammunition with which to 'shoot down' (if you pardon the extended metaphor) the crriticism of my colleagues.  Thanks for the primer too.  Really great stuff.  Another Moodler shows how benevolence is a Moodling prerequisite

smile  .

Drew

In reply to Mark Hughes

by Sean S -

That is really great information. thank you so much. I notice that the primars are from a journal. is it allowed to to redistrubute them like this? I ask because I would like to post them on my blog as I have readers who are interested in online language teaching.

Thanks so much for the advice.

In reply to Sean S

by Mark Hughes -

You know...I didn't even think about the whole copyright thing....thanks for bringing that up...and I don't know if you can redistribute it or not...so to play it safe, I better impose on Martin to remove it.  My understanding is that teachers can make a single copy for teacher use for research or lesson preperation. (United States).  But to redistribute it would be a bad thing.  Also, it is okay to make multiple copies of Articles, Stories, or essays less than 2,500 words for classroom use in the U.S.....ah, it's all to confusing -- I don't know if it's okay or not, but to be safe I'm going to say no it's not.  Thinking about it, me posting was a gray area issue....but you posting would be a no-no.  I think it says somewhere that you've got to have an authorized copy in your posession to make copies of..... 

Fortunately you can still obtain the articles from the publisher

https://ww2.iste.org/LL/search/order/index.cfm?articles=29818f,29718f,29606f

(I know what you're thinking....if they've got articles like this, they've got to have others...I want to subscribe to this journal -- let me assure you, this is not the case...they've got good stuff every now and then -- but theses articles are a rariety)

Cheers,
Mark

In reply to Mark Hughes

Re: Starting a Moodle soon Copyright etc etc !!

by Joyce Smith -
Thanks for the link Mark,

the 'permissions page' on the site gives some info on the 'copyright' issue

https://ww2.iste.org/LL/about/index.cfm#permissions

http://www.copyright.com seems to be a commercial site ? Also only the U.S. ?

Personally ,I have often discovered articles etc that I would like to use , and find, if I contact the author and ask permission stating the use etc , they are more than happy to supply a written permission Academics especially are ,in my experience more than happy to assist in our search for knowledge.

Copyright & Patents (again, sorry guys)

Australian Moodlers This link is to an Australian Senate report 25th May 2004 that deals with the( TPM )Technological Protection Measures, the Digital Agenda Review (amongst other things) but in the context of the (FTA) Free Trade Agreement , with the US . Senator Lundy s comments are really quite interesting !

http://parlinfoweb.aph.gov.au/piweb/Repository/Commttee/Estimate/Linked/3387-4.PDF

This link is one referred to in the paper The Intellectual Property Department

http://www.dcita.gov.au/Subject_Entry_Page/0,,0_1-2_12,00.html

I also saw somewhere very recently, (sorry cant remember where) that there is a new Education only mark to be introduced, i.e. a sort of special copyright mark to be added to educational material on the web , so that the so- marked material is really in a sort of Educational Public Domain .

Another link for Open Source research materials

http://opensource.ucc.ie/

Excuse me guys, but I am doing e-Business at Newcastle Uni and getting quite interested in more than just 'putting content' into a course !! Love to share with all of you

cheers
Joyce

smile
In reply to Mark Hughes

by Tom Murdock -
I agree with everyone.  Mark, these brief, but insightful comments are terrific guides for the rest of us as we try to live up to the potential of this new teaching tool.  Thanks!  I hope you will continue to share ideas here (Dr. Price, too).

-TM