how do i assign a teacher to ONLY 4 classes?

how do i assign a teacher to ONLY 4 classes?

by Scott Sahagian -
Number of replies: 10

should be simple I'm sure, but I'm new. I want to assign 1 teacher to 4 classes. The problem is that I have 4 other teacher testing their own moodle pages and they ALL are assigned to ALL classes, not just their own?

help

-Scott

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Sahagian

Re: how do i assign a teacher to ONLY 4 classes?

by Miguel Santos -

Scott,

Are your teachers assigned a global role of "Teacher"?  That is what it sounds like.  To check, (as admin) Site Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign Global Roles.  If the teachers are assigned there they would be teachers for all classes.  If you do not want them teachers of all courses, remove them from here.

In order to have them be teachers for the specific course(s).  Go to each course (as admin) Administration -> Assign roles, and add the teacher to the Teacher role for the specific course.

In reply to Miguel Santos

by Scott Sahagian -

your teachers assigned a global role of "Teacher"?  That is what it sounds like.  To check, (as admin) Site Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign Global Roles. 

>>>when i go here there is a 0 in the teacher user col so i assume no they are not?

Go to each course (as admin) Administration -> Assign roles, and add the teacher to the Teacher role for the specific course.

>>when i do this do i want them as teacher or course creator? i currently have them as teacher.

here is an image of my problem. don wants to do a test class in chemistry and i have assigned him to just that class and when you look at his profile here is what you see. it is this way with all the other teachers that are testing moodle? is there a setting for this? i just had them log on using thier school id and then started assigning them classes? did I skip something? we are new to moodle, but I was told that when it is runnign correctly a teahcer would log in and ONLY see their classes?

-Scott

scrn.jpg

by Miguel Santos -

Scott,

Another thing to check would be the default roles for users

Site Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> User Policies. 

I have my Moodle set with the following

Role for Visitors: guest
Role for Guests: guest
Default role for all users: authenticated user
Default role for users in a course: student
Creators' role in new courses: teacher
Auto-login guests: (unchecked)
Roles that are not synchronised to metacourses: (nothing selected)
Hide user fields: none

If this does not help I am out of ideas at the moment.

by Scott Sahagian -

Miguel

you are my new hero! If I could come buy you a cup of coffee I would!!! Thanks. I figured it had to be something simple that wasn't checked or was checked. I changed:

Default role for all users: authenticated user

I think the other admin must have been playing around with it becuase I think it was supposed to be that by default?

Thanks again btw are you a teacher? and can I get ahold of you again if we run into other ?'s

-Scott Sahagian

by Scott Sahagian -

Oops I forgot I wanted to ask. I am also an art teacher and becuase I am an admin on this moodle deal it doesnt show my classes when I look at my profile? Where can I get that set?

-Scott

by Miguel Santos -

Scott,

Glad I could help.  Yes, I am a teacher, and I am also the lead Moodle admin at my school. 

I have 2 accounts on Moodle.  My Teacher account and my Admin account.  This was the easiest way to keep my courses listed for my classes, and still have a way to admin everything.

Feel free to add me as a contact and shoot me a message should you have need.

by Stephen Cooke -

You may be able to help me aswell! 

I want all teachers in my school to be able to create courses and as such I have made them all course creators at global level, unfortunatley this has the same effect and gives them a list of all the courses on Moodle rather than just the ones they have created or are a teacher in.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

In reply to Stephen Cooke

by Matt Campbell -
I would create a category for each teacher and then assign them the course creator role at the category level. That way, they can create courses they need in their category and see the courses in their list, but they won't get all the other courses.

Thanks,
Matt

by Tony Spedaliere -

Solved my issue that i was trying to solve for hours!!  Thanks Miguel!! smile

In reply to Tony Spedaliere

by Carrie Goode -
I am going to try this for my student problem as well. I do not want the students in all courses because there are different verison for different job roles. Thanks