Number of replies: 11

Hello,

I've got my roles set up in the following way:

Subject context roles:
Subject Admin is an administrator-like role which our subject heads have
Course Creator just lets teachers create a course which they become a Teacher

Course context roles:
Teacher has administrator priviliges within courses only
Non editing teacher has no admin priviliges within the course other than to grade assignments etc.

Currently what happens is course creators have to join courses as students and then assign themselves as Non Editing Teachers, because the default role when joining a course is Student (which I obviously want to keep)

So what I want is for when Course Creators join a course, for them to be automatically assigned the Non Editing Teacher role, but for normal Authenticated Users to be assigned Student. Is that possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Grant

Re: Automatic role assignment

by Sean S -
I have come to post a similar question.

I'm teaching English Education majors a course titled "How to Teach English Through the Internet" and we've come to the moodle portion of our course. Tomorrow the students will all be registering with my moodle site and joining their course with the provided key. Is it possible for students to be automatically assigned a role other than "student" upon entering the course.

Each of the students in this course will be getting a custom role that essentially gives them the permissions of an editing teacher with a few restrictions so that they can play with moodle. it would be really helpful to me if I didn't have to manually assign this role to each student in the course.

In reply to Sean S

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

You can set the default role, that is automatically assigned to users when they enrol, in the course settings.
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Isner -
Added MDL-11782 "On course settings page, the Default role dropdown list needs a help button"
In reply to Helen Foster

by Sean S -
Thank you - that solves my problem perfectly
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Grant -

That doesn't solve my problem.

In my first post, I said:

"So what I want is for when Course Creators join a course, for them to be automatically assigned the Non Editing Teacher role, but for normal Authenticated Users to be assigned Student."

I know about the option for setting the default role, but I need to assign different roles depending on whether the user is a Course Creator or an Authenticated User.

In reply to Chris Grant

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,

When users self-enrol on a course, they can only be assigned one role. Unfortunately the role assignment that you want can only be done manually.
In reply to Sean S

by Sean S -
Okay,
I have a new (but related) problem. I had my students register in class, in a computer lab. when the enrolled in the course the key would not work. However after going back into the settings and changing the default role back to student the key worked. It appears that setting the default role only allows users with that role to enrol in the course rather than assigning that role as I expected it.

Okay problem solved, but the real issue is that after manually assigning students their reduced editing teacher role they could not see the turn editing on button. I gave some students the role of editing teacher (role that ships with moodle) and they still could not see the turn editing on button.

I really need to have these students be able to edit things in moodle on Fridays class so all help would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Sean S

by Helen Foster -
Did your students logout then login again after assigning them the role of teacher? Role changes only take effect after the next login from that user.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Grant

by Chris Grant -
Still no reply to the initial post in this thread, I feel like it's been hijacked somewhat sad
In reply to Chris Grant

by Richard Pinner -
I have a related problem - I want students to be able to enrol on a course which is for teachers, which will then automatically turn them into an editing teacher role for that and all child courses. When I changed the default role I tried to login but got the message "this course does not allow public access" How can I get round this? I want users to decide for themselves if they are students or non-editing teachers.