no photos option

no photos option

by Diana Clarke -
Number of replies: 17
I'm using version 1.2. The profile page has no option for uploading a photo. Not in Safari or Netscape. A browser issue? Installation error? Version difference? Here's the link: http://rmhs.dist214.k12.il.us/moodle/ Any ideas? Help?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diana Clarke

Re: no photos option

by Genner Cerna -
Check the config.php maybe the setting is set to diasble picture to true...
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Diana Clarke -
I neglected to mention that I am using the poweraid theme.

I find no mention of "disable picture" in any config.php file - or any other I've checked.

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestion. I'm sure this is the answer, I just need to find the right file to edit! Other suggestions?
In reply to Diana Clarke

by Jeff Wood -

Hi Diana,

Have you been using an older version of moodle previously? If so when you copied your config.php file back to your moodle directory, the older config.php may NOT have contained that option.

This happened to me. I was using a config.php file from moodle 1.1 and did not have the option to allow admin "forever" edit access to forums.

Modify the config file supplied with 1.3 and you should find the required line.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Diana Clarke -
Thank you for your helpful suggestion! I have only used version 1.3 of Moodle, but I think I may have the answer to the problem!
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Hans de Zwart -
Reading these posts I was thinking....
Does the Moodle upgrade process look at whether the config.php is recent (enough) or does the user have to read the documentation to see whether anything has changed?

How writes a little program to change an old config.php into a new one (keeping the values for the directories and the databases)  and using default values for everything else?
In reply to Hans de Zwart

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The basic format of config.php hasn't changed for a very long time.  A config.php file from Moodle 1.0.7, say,  would run fine under Moodle 1.3.

Apart from the database and directories in config.php, the others are just less important ones, or in-development ones that provide overrides.  Even these have sensible defaults in Moodle.

All the main configuration options are actually in lib/defaults.php, set up automatically and controlled via the GUI.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Hans de Zwart -
I remember reading a couple of times about options that could be changed in config.php. I am not sure which ones (maybe force_login in the context of Google entering the site?). Are these kind of options all in the admin interface now?

If so: wow!!
In reply to Diana Clarke

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

See the FAQ about profile images.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Diana Clarke -
Thank you for your suggestion. I looked at the FAQ, but it only refers to files not found. I have no option to upload images in the profile at all.

I believe that I am running Apache version 1.3 and not version 2, as 1.3 is the standard install that comes with Mac OS 10.3 Server - which is the sytem I'm working with.
In reply to Diana Clarke

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This happened to me when the GD Library was not installed with PHP. You need it to process photos and the New Picture box disappears if GD is not installed.  To confirm this, go to your Admin >> Configuration >> Variables page and see if the box says "GD library not installed".   If so, you need to have a new PHP with that module built in, installed.  I notice you are using Mac OS server, which I am not familiar with.  I do know that the Mac OS X Client version of PHP is not good (no GD library), and many moodlers have reported success by installing Marc Liyenage's PHP version from his site on http://entropy.ch
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Diana Clarke -
Ahhhh! Yes, I see now. GD is not installed. I am downloading a newer version of php to update on the server. Thank you for all your time and help!
In reply to Diana Clarke

by Don Hinkelman -
P.S. In the FAQ, the reference by Zbigniew was under "Why can't I upload a new image into my profile?"

But like you, I find the Glossary a terribly confusing way to do FAQ. Note: We need a simple HTML page with FAQ links listed under categories--something easy to browse.

by Diana Clarke -
And there are the answers! I agree that a simpler way to access the FAQ items might help. I completely missed Zbigniew's post! Thank you for point it out to me!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Shortly the FAQ and the Howtos will all be merged in to an editable Wiki on the moodle.org home page.

It will make the sun shine and the birds sing again.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: New FAQ Coming

by Don Hinkelman -
Oh Martin, everyday you make the sun shine and the birds sing!

(not to mention, version 1.3 is just fantastic)

Recently my little one is watching the Mary Poppins video every day.
Now I am thinking we should start calling you "Marty Poppins". big grin
In reply to Diana Clarke

Re: no photos-SOLVED!

by Diana Clarke -
I uploaded php 4.3.6 to the web server and the problem is solved! Thank you all so much! What a wonderful community!