Group Mode doesn't allow reply in Standard forum for general use

Group Mode doesn't allow reply in Standard forum for general use

by Paweł Zakrzewski -
Number of replies: 9
I have 5 groups in course.
The Course is set Group mode: Visible.
Moodle 1.8.2+

If teacher add new discusion to forum (to all Groups), students, which are in group, can't reply to this discusion.

You have any idea? What cause this problem?

I will be grateful for help smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paweł Zakrzewski

Re: Group Mode

by Pat Fox -

I'm a newbie myself, and having similar problems. I yesterday I (as teacher or as an admin) couldn't repond to a forum, but when I logged in as a student I could. Today as I hunted around, I got the idea to change group mode to no groups, and I can post now. When I clicked the help button, I get the below- so I can't help but wonder if there isn't a course setting versus activity setting that is giving us this issue.:

Group Mode

The group mode can be one of three levels:

• No groups - there are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
  • Separate groups - each group can only see their own group, others are invisible
  • Visible groups - each group works in their own group, but can also see other groups

The group mode can be defined at two levels:

1. Course level

The group mode defined at the course level is the default mode for all activities defined within that course

2. Activity level

Each activity that supports groups can also define its own grouping mode. If the course is set to "force group mode" then the setting for each activity is ignored.

In reply to Pat Fox

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there,

I was having similar issue: I had general forum in separate groups mode. I could start a new discussion thread as a teacher but I was not able to add any reply.

I solved this by adding myself into all groups in the course.

IMHO there is something strange in the current stable 1.8 version but I do not have enough time to describe and post the bug in the tracker.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Tamao Araki -

Hi,

I also have the same problem. I'm using Moodle 1.8.2+ via a hosting service (The hosting service is a Moodle Partner, which is doing a really good job). I adopted visible group mode with 10 groups. There are about 60 participants in each group. The problem is: When a teacher adds a new discussion topic, it cannot be replied by the students, though the other fellow teachers can reply to that message. However, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. This moodle might have the original setup like this. Now I found a solution for this problem by Mr. Mudrak's posting in the above.

But I have another problem which is also related to group mode and I think it is a bug. I'm not sure if it is related to the above problem. This problem is: When a student posts a new discussion, some discussions don't appear with "group info". The other students cannot reply to those discussions, even they are the members of the same group. I described this problem in Moodle Tracker (I'm afraid there are several mistakes in my English in the description at MT, but I hope they are not fatal ones for your reading).

I hope anybody would take a look at my posting at MT when they think it might be related to their own problem.

Thank you for your attention.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tamao Araki

Odp: Re: Group Mode

by Paweł Zakrzewski -
I' ve reported problem with replying in groups on Moodle Tracker

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11886

Re: Odp: Re: Group Mode

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Dzień dobry, Paweł.

Please note - my post was a solution of another problem - not the one you tracked. IMHO, there are two issues being discussed in this thread:
  • teacher can add a post but students can not reply to it (it is your initial post in this thread)
  • teacher can not reply to any post in the forum (it was my problem and it was just SIMILAR not the same as yours)
Maybe both issues have the same roots somewhere in the deep darkness of the forum module source code. Unfortunately at the moment, I do not have spare time to look at this in details. Sorry dead.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Marcus Mead -
I have also not yet been able to create a forum that my students can reply to.  They are in six different groups, and I am also a member of the six groups.
In reply to Marcus Mead

by Marcus Mead -
Of course as soon as the timer expired I figured out that each group will need a seperate post.  I hope future editions can hit all six groups with one post, that would be easier.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
When I added the instructor to groups, she wasn't able to see everyone's grades in the gradebook. She only saw the grades for one group. I had to delete her from the groups. Now she can't reply to the forum. Is there some setting that could change this?

Re: Group Mode doesn't allow reply in Standard forum for general use

by Paul Nijbakker -
Students who are in a group cannot reply to messages posted outside their own group. That means that if the teacher posts a message for all participants in a group forum none of the students can reply to this message. The message will have to be posted for each group.

Incidentally, it may be more practical to set course group setting to No groups and apply group settings per module.

Rgrds,
Paul.