Intermittant Journal not saving

Intermittant Journal not saving

by Angela Teasey -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

A journal has been set up for GCSE students. Several of them are saying that when they try to save their work it just logs them out and doesn't save.  This has been witnessed by a teacher. It was preceded by a "the page contains secure and non secure items" type message. Some of the work which wouldn't save had been typed in colour, but not all.

One student who's work didn't save had copied it into Word (formatting and all) as a safeguard. When they went back into the journal again and pasted the work back in it saved fine.

Has anybody else experienced porblems like this, any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, Angela

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Teasey

Re: Intermittant Journal not saving

by Steve Bilton -
This sounds like the problem could be related to a limit of the text cache for the session.

Look in ADMIN -> Site Configuration -> Filters and there's an option to increase the session for the "Text cache lifetime". Mine is currently set at one minute, but if students take a long time to input txt on to a web form, such as the one within journal the text/data may most likely time out and the data will be lost.

This is for a 1.6 moodle version

Find this option and increase the Text cache lifetime to something more practicable. But remember the longer the life time the more load on the database. Depending on your system and how many concurrently online users you have on your moodle, this may severely effect the performance of the moodle/server, so make sure you don't set this time limit too high.

Hope that does the trick.
Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Bilton

by Angela Teasey -

Thanks for the advise i will give this a try.

Angela

In reply to Angela Teasey

by Steve Bilton -
Hello Angela,

I also discovered that if you are trying to input a journal entry and it exceeds 32k in size (the size for submitted webforms) it will not save and chuck the user out of the journal as it has exceeded the max size. Which is incidentally set by the size of default web forms (not really sure why someone would want this? but that the way it is). Although I haven't heard of this issue loggin users out.

Just thought i'd up-date you with this info. If you fixed the problem can you tell me what it was please?
I am currently trying to extend the max file size for the journal, but not having much luck i'm afraid.

All the Best

Steve