setup auto nightly CVS update using tortoisecvs on windows

setup auto nightly CVS update using tortoisecvs on windows

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 13
Hi dear all, sorry if this question seems to be quite easy. I have been trying to play with the Windows scheduler ("Add Scheduled Task") so that my home development machine (running Windows and on DSL, usually wouldn't turn off and behind firewall) could automatically do CVS update. After doing some search here in this forum and on the Net, I found this site:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Q9K1vv_GkOsJ:sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php%3Fforum_id%3D8052%26max_rows%3D25%26style%3Dnested%26viewmonth%3D200209+tortoisecvs+auto+updater&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

I modified the script a little bit so that it would work with moodle CVS update, but somehow it won't work. Here is my script (.bat file):

--
@echo off
c:
cd \amp\moodle\moodle18\
set CVS_RSH=c:\progra~1\tortoisecvs\tortoiseplink.exe -l username -pw XXXXXX
set CVSROOT=:ext:username@cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
echo Updating from %CVSROOT%
"c:\program files\tortoisecvs\cvs.exe" -z9 update -d -C -A
--

I also tried to change the last line to:
"c:\program files\tortoisecvs\cvs.exe" update -d moodle

However this would crash CVSNT. Attached please fine a screenshot.

By the way as this is a home development machine so I don't really care about security, so didn't want to use RSA keys here..(I know I probably should...)

Have anyone here ever setup TortoiseCVS to do automatic nightly CVS update correctly? What did I do wrong here? Thanks! smile

Attachment CVSNT_crash.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: setup auto nightly CVS update using tortoisecvs on windows

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is probably not a good idea in the first place.

1) it creates extra load on the CVS server (shortly to be MY server) when you aren't even using the site
2) you might not detect errors and conflicts for a long time.

You should really only update when you need it, and check the output (that's what it's for).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In addition to that, using any of the CVS mirrors with an anonymous CVS connection would be a better idea. (load spread, no need to use passwords or RSA keys, etc; and anonymous is more than enough to update Moodle from CVS).

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Martin, when we move to your new CVS server, we could consider making that server developer-only - that is, not anonymous access, and therefore pushing all anonymous access to the mirrors.

I suppose that does not really fit the friendly welcoming attitude that the Moodle community likes to adopt - but it might make things a bit quicker for developers.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That is totally the idea, but Wen has developer access currently.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
How often are the mirrors updated off of cvs.moodle.org?

-eric
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Merrill

by Martin Dougiamas -
Usually 30 min or so (fairly often). But we only have two real mirrors. We really need some more, especially in the US.

by Dan Poltawski -
uk.cvs.moodle.org is currently syncing every 10mins. And is also mostly sat idle so please use it! smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Wen Hao Chuang -
First thanks to everyone's reply, really appreciate that. smile

Martin, as we "message" before, if you could give us some statistics (traffic data) about how currently other CVS mirrors are being used, we could present the numbers to our "Division of Information Technology (DoIT)" so that they could evaluate the possibility to setup mirror sites here at SFSU. I'm sure other US universities such as Humboldt State (HSU), UCLA, and other larger universities who are currently using moodle in US would be interested in this statistics too, and would be willing to help out with mirror sites. Just my 2 cents...
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Martin Dougiamas -
I don't really have stats ... perhaps one of you guys running the existing mirrors could provide some.

People keep offering mirrors in the US but no-one has followed through yet.

by Iñaki Arenaza -

I don't have any hard numbers, but grepping through the logs I see es.cvs.moodle.org gets 15-25 daily connections (even less on weekends). And the machine is not loaded at all (and this is a rather old Athlon machine with only 512 MB of RAM).

So I'd venture network latency plays a bigger factor than machine horsepower (at least in our case).

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Dan Poltawski -

We don't have any hard numbers either, but it averages more like 500 daily connections here, and the box is barely touched.

To be honest, I expect everyone in the developer community will be in heaven when we move from sourceforge even if anonymous access was still enabled. Imagine all these new features we'll be able to cram in for 2.0 while not waiting for cvs up ;)

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Martin, good news, we have officially got green light to go ahead and setup a anonymous Moodle CVS server here at SFSU (in US). I will IM you for more details. Once it's up and running we will update the docs.moodle.org so that people could start using is. We hope we could contribute more to the moodle community in the near future as this is such a great project! Thanks for everything... smile
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tim - I think as long as folks have a place to go to get the files that Moodle is still being friendly. Its just a matter of balancing the load and I suspect most users would understand. Are there any U.S. based mirrors? Perhaps one of the Moodle Partners would be willing to set one up if they have not already. Peace - Anthony