1.8.2 => 1.9 beta causes issues

1.8.2 => 1.9 beta causes issues

by Matt Albert -
Number of replies: 9
I decided to check out the beta version of 1.9 as the new functionality seems to fit our needs. We went through the upgrade process mentioned in the moodle docs area. It seemed to work but many of the modifications and styles just disappeared. The other thing is that the breadcrumbs simply do not work. It returns the value "array" instead of the name of the class. This is our first upgrade in general so maybe there is something obvious I am missing. With all upgrades does it write or remove all the old files with all the modifications?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Albert

Re: 1.8.2 => 1.9 beta causes issues

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That depends how you cusomised things, and how you did the update.

If you originially downloaded 1.8.2 as a zip file, then edited the code, but then downloaded 1.9 and copied the new files over the old ones, then you will have lost your changes. I sincerely hope that the upgrade instrucitons tell you to take a full backup before you do anything else.

If you originally got 1.8.2 from CVS, and updated with a CVS update, you won't have lost your changes. See http://docs.moodle.org/en/CVS_for_Administrators.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Albert -
Basically we followed the upgrade dosumetation in moodle docs. There are two main ones that we used http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_1.9 and http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading_Moodle I certainly hope that these instructions did not leave us down the wrong path although we do have backups. Thanks...
In reply to Matt Albert

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's fine. But you imply that you have made your own customisations to the Moodle code. Those instructions are written under the assumption that you haven't done that - or that if you have, you know enough to modify the upgrade instructions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Albert -
The problem isn't going back and re-doing some of the mods we made. The issue is for example that some of the course formats that we created are now gone. So my guess is that the upgrade we made simply overwrote the pre-existing files. This just seems strange that it would do this. Also, the other troubling thing is the fact that the bread crumbs simply do not work any longer.
In reply to Matt Albert

by Tim Hunt -
Well, what happens when you copy files around is a feature of your operating system, not Moodle (but the upgrade instructions should, perhaps, be more explicit about what you need to do).

There was a change to how the breadcrumbs are produced in Moodle 1.9, but they should still work! It certainly works in my development set-ups. So I fear you will have to do some debugging there.

Can I just clarify, did you upgrade to 1.9 beta, or 1.9 beta+. There has been a lot of work done since the beta release, so beta+ is better.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Albert -
As it turns out we followed the instructions given in moodle docs. We did not copy over the files or anything. It seems that by following the upgrade instructions led to the overwriting of some files. It wiped out the new course formats we had created along with the new theme. Is this what is supposed to happen during the upgrade process?

oh and yes we installed the 1.9 beta+ and the breadcrumbs do not work. They return "array". How are they set up in 1.9?
In reply to Matt Albert

by Martín Langhoff -

the breadcrumbs do not work. They return "array"

That's a common mistake in the theme -- promoted even by some theme tutorials I've seen mixed IIRC the fix is to remove the quotes when you pass the $navigation variable. In other words...

// wrong, but tolerated in 1.8
 print_navigation("$navigation");

// the right way
 print_navigation($navigation);

Hope that helps...

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Matt Albert -
That helped. The breadcrumbs are up and running again. One feature I noticed that is supposed to be in 1.9 is quizs showing up on my moodle. I have everything but the quiz data showing up so any suggestions would be great.
In reply to Matt Albert

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
From the upgrade docs:

"Do not overwrite an old installation unless you know what you are doing ... sometimes old files can cause problems in new installations. The best way is to rename the current Moodle directory to something else, then unpack the new Moodle archive into the old location."

"Next, copy across your config.php, any other plugins such as custom themes, and your .htaccess file if you created one:"

This obviously implies that if you added things to Moodle or changed code in the past then you need to re-add them to the new installation (carefully, testing each one for compatibility).