Very worrying group forum behaviour

Very worrying group forum behaviour

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 4
Hi there,

I've just hit upon a potentially very serious problem for me. I have a course with 400 members. They are split into many groups of about 8 users. In moodle 1.6.2 non-editing teachers could only see their group members and would only receive mail from their group members, not any other groups. My first surprise was to find that non-editing teachers could see all other groups, so I've solved that by changing moodle/site:accessallgroups to "prevent". However, a potentially very serious problem has arisen. Non-editing teachers whom don't belong to a group to which a message is posted are receiving the emailed posting from that group. This does not reflect the behaviour from moodle prior to roles being introduces and I cannot for the life of me work out which permission flag to switch to solve this problem. Non-editing teachers whom have moodle/site:accessallgroups set to prevent should not be receiving email copies of postings from groups they don't belong to else it will be a) annoying for them, b) defeats the purpose of group forums and breaks privacy rules.

Please help me, before people break down my door...!

--Stuart Anderson,

University of Manchester

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: Very worrying group forum behaviour

by Yu Zhang -
Hi, what version of Moodle are you running and are you sure the post is posted to the group and not to the course?
In reply to Yu Zhang

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi,

Upgraded to Moodle 1.8.2+ last week and yes, users are definitely posting to their respective groups and not the course. Also the forums activity summary page reports a message total for the whole course not for the group who is logged in.

--Stuart.

P.S. I'm a dead man if I can't solve this one ;)
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sounds like it might be a bug ... is one filed in the Moodle Tracker?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Stuart Anderson -

sad Yes, just found the bug entry now. I can add some more info to the reported bug too. I'm running some separate tests on our testing server too. One problem with this kind of bug, as I'm sure you know, is that testing of group behaviour with only one or two admins to do the testing is tricky.

For now I've flipped the settings onto Subscriptions not allowed for this forum and I'm hoping this will work for now. Privacy is obviously a big issue.

Martin (or moodlers): from your experience, do you think we will be able to simply patch the existing server code or will be be forced to upgrade again?

Yours awaiting-execution,

Stuart.

University of Manchester School,
of Computer Science