My Moodle manageblocks

My Moodle manageblocks

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 4
Hi there,

Firstly, sorry for cross-posting. I asked this in the general developer forum to begin with, but I think this is more appropriate. Could someone please confirm if they are experiencing the following problem. We have just upgraded to moodle 1.8.2+. On the mymoodle pages students are able to select "Edit this page", but the Add blocks combo list is not displayed. I can confirm that students do have site wide permission to allow mymoodle/mangeblocks, but this appears to be having no effect. As an admin I do see the Add blocks combo list and can add blocks. If anyone else can verify this as a bug, I'll add it to the tracker, or advise on a suitable fix.

Thanks.

--Stuart Anderson
Uni of Manchester, UK
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: My Moodle manageblocks

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Stuart,

I've just tried with the latest Moodle 1.8.2 and all roles as default, and managed to add blocks to My Moodle as a student. The capability moodle/my:manageblocks is allowed for the authenticated user role, not the student role. Have you tried this?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Helen,

In the end we just hacked the code so that the check always returned true to allow any user to edit their mymoodle page. Doesn't solve the problem though.

--Stuart.
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
A hack is not necessary if you allow the capability moodle/my:manageblocks for the authenticated user role. Allowing it for the student role won't work unless you set the default role for all users to student (and have all users enrolled on all courses).

The authenticated user role enables you to give logged-in users certain capabilities such as
being able to add blocks to My Moodle and post blog entries i.e. capabilities that are not assignable at the course level.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Stuart Anderson -
Yep. Tried that and it didn't work. This is why we went for the hack option (which I didn't really want to do).

--Stuart.