People == Leute ?

People == Leute ?

von Martin Dougiamas -
Anzahl Antworten: 12
Why is the Deutsches translation for "People" written as "Trainer/innen und Teilnehmer/innen" instead of just "Leute" ?

Mittelwert:  -
Als Antwort auf Martin Dougiamas

Re: People == Leute ?

von Ralf Hilgenstock -
Nutzerbild von Besonders aktive Moodler Nutzerbild von Deutsche Moodle Übersetzer Nutzerbild von Entwickler Nutzerbild von Moodle Partner Nutzerbild von Translators
Hi Martin,
'Leute' sounds in german very unpersonal. 'Trainer/innen and Teilnehmer/innen'  means exactly the persons in the course. Is there any problem with "Trainer/innen und Teilnehmer/innen"?
Als Antwort auf Ralf Hilgenstock

von Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Ralf! Yes, a couple of things ...

Firstly, it's very long to be in a block name. breit grinsend It really stuck in my eye when I visited here today.

Secondly, the block name is not really meant to represent the persons in the course (that is to be found in the first item which I call "Participants" and you currently call "Teilnehmer/innen") ... it's just meant to be a place where all stuff related to human beings is grouped together. In English the word "People" is also very impersonal.  If possible I would like the meanings in translations to match as closely as possible - I've already started seeing problems where people use non-Englisg translations as the basis for new translations ... so meanings drift  ...

Lastly, I think the use of the word Trainer in there forces that term on people running Moodle courses ... note the ability in the Course Settings for the teacher to define their own terms for these roles ... I don't know if the situation is like English, where different teachers prefer to use different words here, but I am assuming some teachers would prefer to be called Lehrer/innen, Berater/innen, Moderator/innen etc ...

My apologies if I'm way off base here (I can't speak German any more!) but I wonder if there is some way to shorten it so it still reads well.

von Ralf Hilgenstock -
Nutzerbild von Besonders aktive Moodler Nutzerbild von Deutsche Moodle Übersetzer Nutzerbild von Entwickler Nutzerbild von Moodle Partner Nutzerbild von Translators
Here a first idea:
Participants=Member=Mitglieder

von Peter Sereinigg -

Mitglieder

klingt gut, thats ok

Martin: in Germany and Austria Gender Mainstream is very important, thats sometime the reason for longer terms

von Martin Dougiamas -
Mitglieder would seem to fit the first icon in the list, to replace "Teilnehmer/innen" ... (note the tooltip on this first item is already "Liste aller Leute" just to confuse us! lächelnd )

For the block name, what about "Users"? That word doesn't really sound right in English, which is why I used People to emphasise this (and Moodle) was about living human beings. However, maybe there is an equivalent in German that is short and warm ... ?

All very difficult!  lächelnd  Languages can be so subtle.

Oh, by the way, look at this new feature!

von Ralf Hilgenstock -

User doesn't sound right in german, too. The translation is "Anwender/innen" or "Nutzer/innen". This are technical words for user of things. We will use words that are also used in the practice of training and development.

It's ok to look for short translations. But we must find words that student understand without any explanations. And, Martin, sometimes german needs more words or longer words than english.

Translation is difficult. We must find idioms and words with the right sense and which are easy to understand for the german speaking users. An other example. We didn't find a correct word for the "workshop" module. Workshops are in german complete other concepts than in this module. We have no word for a training concept like the workshopmodul. So everey trainer and lots of users ask: "What's  that? It's interesting, but it's not a workshop."

von Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, it's difficult.  I mostly want to make sure that the words are not too specific for business-oriented education only (eg Trainer) ... to make standard German as meaningful as possible for all types of students and teachers.

So,

People => Leute or Personen or Betroffenen or ?
Participants => 
Mitglieder or
 Teilnehmer/innen or ?

Thanks for thinking about this,
Martin

P.S.  Workshop is not a workshop in English, either! lächelnd - it's just a name with some approximate meanings.

von Martin Dougiamas -
"Trainer" makes me very uncomfortable ... it's a word I would use for soldiers, for dogs and for robots - it puts all the power on one side of the relationship.

von Ralf Hilgenstock -

We don't know such an word like "drill trainer" in german. Trainer isn't really a problem for us. Trainers are leading processes with groups.

We use Referent or Dozent for someone who make monologs to a class.

von Martin Dougiamas -
Ah, I see.  Great!  Probably a closer equivalent to a Trainer in English would be der Ausbilder (according to my dictionary).

Anyhow, do any of my shorter suggestions for "People" (above) work for you guys?

von Andreas Vollmer -
I think, your former suggestion "Personen" (eg. participants, groups, profile) should work properly for the context of "activities", "search", "my courses" and so on (example).
Is there any other context the variable should fit also?
Best wishes, Andreas