Install hangs

Install hangs

by Peter Lipscomb -
Number of replies: 17

I had problems with upgrade so am now installing to new database. I have tried install of 1.7 and 1.8. Both have same problem.  I Am using ISP

Install hangs on modules. There is no continue on end of page. I get to Quiz

I have read and re-read Installation hangs when setting-up database tables

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#I_receive_this_error_.22500:Internal_Server_Error.22

Have increased "memory_limit" 40 Mb and "execution time"  60 in php.ini,

.Htaccess did not work

It is a new install so I have no custom code I think.

PHP 4.4.7

Sql 4.1.22

Help!

Peter L

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Lipscomb

Re: Install hangs

by chhivhorng ly -
hello Peter,

I have been to see the same your problem but Now I have success.
If you want easy to install, you should use EasyPHP1.8+Moodle1.5+.
it is easy to use. you can download when you install the software already,
you have to install database Moodle, so it lead you to success.

ok,
good luck,
chhivhorng,

by Richard Enison -

PL,

I don't believe you said what operating system your server is running. Unless it is Windows, .Htaccess won't work. Try .htaccess.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Peter Lipscomb -

Thanks Richard

.htaccess the capital H was a typo in the forum sorry.

Any more clues?

Peter

by Richard Enison -

PL,

I had a hunch that it was, but one must be sure, just in case.

By the same token, this will probably turn out to be an oversight in your post, but just in case, ...

You say you read the one about Installation hangs when setting-up database tables, as well as 500: Internal Server Error. But you didn't mention http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Why_is_a_particular_page_blank_or_incomplete.3F, nor did you mention checking the error logs, as that FAQ recommends.

RLE

PS It's always a good idea to give a more complete description of your server environment in your post, e.g.

1. By sql do you mean MySQL? MS SQL Server? PostgreSQL?
  2. You still haven't said what operating system your server is running. Linux? Unix? Mac OS? Windows? What version?
  3. What web server software? Apache? Presumably, since you used .htaccess. What version?

RLE

by Peter Lipscomb -

Hi Richard

Thanks for taking time with this. Here is some info re environment.

I am not sure where to find log errors. THe php .ini file shows no location for error_log. See below.

Apache/1.3.37 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.28 OpenSSL/0.9.7m

Edited by Helen Foster - php ini cut and pasted into attached file - original submission Monday, 10 September 2007, 04:00 AM)

by Richard Enison -

PL,

Your PHP Core table shows error logging turned off. In order to be able to find logged errors, you will need to turn it on, and specify a location for your error log -- somewhere Apache has write access (permission) to, and you have read access. If you turn error logging on but don't specify a log file, it will default to Apache's error log file. See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#How_to_enable_and_check_PHP_error_logs. EDIT: Then try the installation again. This time it should log the errors.

RLE

by Peter Lipscomb -

Hi Richard

I have found where the error files on my ISP are.

I deleted old logs and tried to install 1.8.

It hangs at courses and has Scroll down message, top of page but no Continue button.

Attached are the error logs produced by this

Thanks

Peter

by Richard Enison -

PL,

1. One of the logs complains, twice, that it couldn't find the file recent.php in the folder course. Please check that it is there; I think it should be.
  2. The other log says it tried to allocate about 1MB of memory but it was not available. Perhaps you need to increase memory_limit again.

RLE

by Peter Lipscomb -

Hi Richard

recent.php is there.

Have increased the memory to 240M. Install now hangs at lesson values.

Will try more memory (how much could be needed?) in 6 hours.

Logs attached

PL

by Peter Lipscomb -

Richard

Have increased the memory to 500M. Install still hangs

Logs attached 2nd today

by Richard Enison -

PL,

1. script.error_log contains messages that come from Moodle script lib/moodlelib.php, function cleanremoteaddr, so that woud be the log file to look at. I can tell you what that function does, but it is apparently not critical. The messages are only notices, not errors.
  2. The only difference between the last two versions of the log you posted is one more erealloc() error message, complaining it couldn't allocate about 1MB. This seems to be a c function that PHP uses to allocate memory. The error message seems to be a PHP bug that only happens with certain versions of PHP, and certain versions of Linux/Unix. The most recent error report at PHP's website is from someone who was using PHP 5.1.4 with openbsd 3.8, namely http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=38124&edit=1 My guess is that this is what is causing you're install to hang, because it identifies itself as a fatal error.
  3. I realize you are using an ISP so you can't easily change PHP versions or operating systems sad. But I'm just the messenger. In the meantime, you might want to report the bug to the Moodle Tracker, mentioning the PHP error report above.

RLE

by Peter Lipscomb -

Have reported to Moodle tracker. See other people are havibg problems. I cannot test on a different configuration at ISPm so are sitting tight on a shaky 1.6 at the moment.

Shaky because I cannot get to / admin. However / admin/users etc. works OK.

Will move ISP later.

Could it be a code problem that makes it so critical?

Peter

by emerson loustau -
Did this ever get solved? I am encountering the very same problem, and I'm reading past posts which seem to indicate that a lot of other people also had this problem, and there seemed to be many different theories, but I haven't found anyone who claims to have solved it.
Fingers crossed,
-Emerson

Install hangs while creating tables

by emerson loustau -
I am struggling with what seems to be the same problem as Peter. I create the mySQL database, and the moodledata file, and then I initiate the install.php script and everything appears fine at first. Then the install hangs while creating tables and there is no "continue button." I hit refresh and the only thing that appears is "Workshops." I've fiddled with my php.ini file to ensure that errors are logged, but I can't seem to find them.

My hosting account is with Namecheap, and my domain is add-on domain (in case this matters).
I am installing the weekly build of moodle 1.9x
The PHP version is: 5.2.11
The mySQL version is: 5.0.85-community
My installation is half-installed at: is www.emersonloustau.com/moodle

Any advice would be much appreciated!
In reply to emerson loustau

Re: Install hangs while creating tables

by emerson loustau -
In case anyone answers this distress call, I've attached a screen shot that might help in identifying what's going on. Also, I've been entering "localhost" as the location of my database, but I'm using a web host. Is this correct?
Attachment stall_screen.jpg