Hebrew in Moodle - HELP

Hebrew in Moodle - HELP

by Moshe Yalovsky -
Number of replies: 3
Continuing previous thread
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=78590
I just upgraded to Moodle 1.8.2 and I still cannot enter Hebrew. The behavior is exactly the same as before.
Let me summarize again the behavior:
In the editor I enter Hebrew characters. In the code view I see the Hebrew characters. After saving changes the results are ??????. If I edit again I see the ????? in both the editor and in the code viewer.
I tried also the new feature: Highlight the Hebrew letters in the editor and choose he from the language drop down. The code shows a span tag with lang he. When saved still showing ?????.
What else can I do?
A reminder about what I see in the database:
Server - UNIX
Language - English
Charcter set: MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
Collation - UFT8 _unicode_ci
The list of database shows the following:
Database Ascending Collation
information_schema utf8_general_ci
uj93_live latin1_swedish_ci
uj93_mdle1 latin1_swedish_ci
Total: 3 latin1_swedish_ci

Tables:
The collation of all tables show: latin1_swedish_ci (this is very strange)
Type myISAM
Storage engines
Storage Engine Description
MyISAM Default engine as of MySQL 3.23 with great performance
MEMORY Hash based, stored in memory, useful for temporary tables
InnoDB Supports transactions, row-level locking, and foreign keys
BerkeleyDB Supports transactions and page-level locking
BLACKHOLE /dev/null storage engine (anything you write to it disappears)
EXAMPLE Example storage engine
ARCHIVE Archive storage engine
CSV CSV storage engine
ndbcluster Clustered, fault-tolerant, memory-based tables
FEDERATED Federated MySQL storage engine
MRG_MYISAM Collection of identical MyISAM tables
ISAM Obsolete storage engine
Can the Swedish collation be the problem? It is the charset that matter??
Please help
Thanks
Moshe
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Moshe Yalovsky

Re: Hebrew in Moodle - HELP

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The default database charset of "latin1_swedish_ci", suggests that you either created and updated this database with Fantastico (or some similar server setup tool), or you never migrated your Moodle database to unicode in Moodle 1.6 or 1.7.

What are the charsets on the individual tables within the Moodle database?

If I were you, I would create a experimental Moodle site somewhere, for example on your own PC. Create a brand new Moodle 1.8 and try entering Hebrew into that. If it works, then you can start thinking about what is different between the system that works and the system that doesn't.

For your information, I use Japanese alot on my Moodle sites, and have had similar problems with "????" appearing were I want Japanese. By creating experimental sites as I suggested above, I have usually been able to find out what I have to do to get the Japanese to display on my live site.

good luck
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Moshe Yalovsky -
The Moodle application is hosted by SiteGround. It might be that fantasico was used. The tables are all the same Latin1_swedish_c1
As it show in the MySQLPhp tool the database is Charcter set: MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
Collation - UFT8 _unicode_ci
The way I read is and might be wrong is that default character set is unicode but the collation in the database and its table is latin1_swedish_c1 which means that if I have character that represent swedish characters they will sorted based on the swedish alpha bet. The question to ask is "Can the collation interfere with saving Unicode characters into the database?"
I will try to install 1.8 on our servers at the university and see what happens.
BTW, Moodle on IIS - are there any problems?
Thanks
Moshe
In reply to Moshe Yalovsky

by Sativa Huang -

Hi,
I have the same problem before, but it's solved now. The solution is here.