The correct langconfig.php for Khmer

The correct langconfig.php for Khmer

by Leang Chumsoben -
Number of replies: 2
Hello everyone,

My team are now in the process of translating all Moodle into Khmer language (now we almost finish all the 8xxx messages, we need to review all the translation again) and we have some problem regarding to the settings in langconfig.php. We are working on editing the existing langconfig.php (which has only a few lines out of 23 lines comparing to English) for Khmer. We are not sure if we really need all lines for Khmer.

Below are some lines taken from English language pack. I have not included those lines which we understand very well.

$string['alphabet'] = 'A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z';
My question is what does Moodle need this alphabet for? I saw some languages (like Thai) include both; Englsih and Thai alphabet.

$string['localewin'] = 'English_Australia.1252';
What should we set here for Khmer?

$string['localewincharset'] = '';
Should we leave it blank as well?

$string['oldcharset'] = 'ISO-8859-1';
What's about this one?

$string['strftimedate'] = '%%d %%B %%Y';
$string['strftimedateshort'] = '%%d %%B';
$string['strftimedatetime'] = '%%d %%B %%Y, %%I:%%M %%p';
$string['strftimedaydate'] = '%%A, %%d %%B %%Y';
$string['strftimedaydatetime'] = '%%A, %%d %%B %%Y, %%I:%%M %%p';
$string['strftimedayshort'] = '%%A, %%d %%B';
$string['strftimedaytime'] = '%%a, %%H:%%M';
$string['strftimemonthyear'] = '%%B %%Y';
$string['strftimerecent'] = '%%d %%b, %%H:%%M';
$string['strftimerecentfull'] = '%%a, %%d %%b %%Y, %%I:%%M %%p';
$string['strftimetime'] = '%%I:%%M %%p';
I think all these lines are related to date and time format, but what do the alphabet d, B, Y, I, M, p, A, a, H, b (hope I count it all) in these lines mean?

It would be really appreciated for any helps.

Thank you very much,
Soben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leang Chumsoben

Re: The correct langconfig.php for Khmer

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi, I'll try to explain some things:
  • The alphabet is used eg when having loads of users in a course, to sort them on first name and last name with the first letter. It is also used in glossaries. You need it smile
  • The localewin is the locale used in a windows machine. This is necessary for if you have a windows server, to show the month and day correctly in the calendar. There didn't exist a locale for Khmer in pre Vista times ... khmer_cambodia.unicode
  • The localewincharset is meant to fix the problem on windows servers that php apparently doesn't have enough with the localewin to know the characterset. Again, this didn't exist in pre Vista times. I think it should be unicode here, but not sure - I can't test it sad
  • Old characterset is for the migration from pre moodle1.6 to 1.6-utf8-version and later. Not needed since there was no khmer languagepack before 1.6
  • info on the dates, you can find here: http://be2.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php
  • a lot of reading on all this for a rainy night: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Table_of_locales

In reply to koen roggemans

Re: The correct langconfig.php for Khmer

by Leang Chumsoben -
Hello Koen,

Thank you very much for the helpful information.

I will look at all the references.

Soben