Role setting to prevent auto-subscription in News forum

Role setting to prevent auto-subscription in News forum

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 7
I have created a role for Earlham's Moodle site which I called Librarian Moodle Support (LMS). It is basically a 'super user' with most of the privileges assigned to the administrator *apart* from being able to view or do anything with grades and is a global role for the whole Moodle site. This way my colleagues in the library can assist with Moodle help without having to become system wide administrators. However, this has had an unforeseen and unpleasant side effect. The two users who occupy the role of LMS are getting a barrage of emails from faculty who are posting to the News forum in their courses. It seems that they are defaulted to being participants in each course and therefore they are automatically subscribed to the News forum. Is there any way to repress this behaviour? The role functions that seem to be relevant are View subscribers, Manage subscriptions and Initial subscription but I can't see how these could be manipulated to prevent auto subscription in the News forum. Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Mark
PS I do think that the Roles/Capabilities system is extremely clever and double-plus kudos to those developers who thought it up and implemented it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Role setting to prevent auto-subscription in News forum

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

Not setting the initial subscription capability should prevent unwanted forum subscription emails. If this is not the case, then it may be a bug. What version of Moodle are you using?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mark Pearson -
We're using 1.8.2+. I have set the 'Initial Subscription' entry to Not Set (or maybe it should be Prevent?) and will see whether that does the trick. Thanks for the hint.

Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Mark Pearson -
The bad news is that this does not seem to have worked.
I am now very leery of creating and assigning global roles at all since the default seems to be that the assignee is enrolled in the course and receives all postings from the News forum.
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback - it's a shame things are not working. Please add a bug report in the tracker and post the bug report number in this discussion thread.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ben Steeples -
Did anyone get to the bottom of this?

It's one that's now plaguing us. We're creating a role which acts as a mix between Course Creator and Teacher, but set at a category level. This role ends up being sent emails from "Forced" subscription forums (such as news).

Thanks,
Ben
In reply to Ben Steeples

by Helen Foster -
Hi Ben,

I've just done a quick search in the tracker and not found a report. Please could you add a report and then post the bug report number in this discussion.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ben Steeples -
Hi Helen,

Done, MDL-11738 is now reported. I hope this is similar to what others are experiencing.

Ben