ERROR: An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file ... (perhaps it was too large?)

ERROR: An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file ... (perhaps it was too large?)

by Kisma Reidling -
Number of replies: 5
I've never experienced this problem before uploading a file. I've not changed any settings but I can no longer upload ANY new files without receiving this message:

"An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file ... (perhaps it was too large?)"

Also, the size of my file is no different than the size of other documents previously uploaded.

Is this something unique to the current version? The reason I ask is because I upgraded to the current version about three weeks ago and this would be the only change I've made to my moodle.

Thanks,
Kisma
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kisma Reidling

Re: ERROR: An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file ... (perhaps it was too large?)

by Gustav W Delius -

The maximum upload size can now be set at the course level as well as at the site level. I haven't looked at the details but I could imagine that the course level upload limit might have been reduced automatically during update. You can check what this limit is by going to setting page of your course. What value is the "Maximum upload size" set to and what is the size of the file you are trying to upload?

In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: ERROR: An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file ... (perhaps it was too large?)

by Kisma Reidling -
Thank you. I'm checking into this. I know I'm going to sound really stupid (please forgive my layman status) but in Admin -> Configuration -> Variables page the 1MB is the highest setting correct?

by Marc Dastous -

If your PHP.ini is only set to 1M then your answer is yes. How do you know... go to the ADMIN page and scroll to the bottom of the page.  Click PHP Info and look for the variable in the PHP Core section called "upload_max_filesize".

A few questions:

1. Are you using a hosting service?
  2. If so, will they allow you to place edited PHP.ini files in the directories that need it?
  3. If not, do you have ADMIN rights to the PHP.ini to change this setting upload_max_filesize = ?M
  4. If you don't have rights, do you know a person that does?

I hope we can get you through this.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Kisma Reidling -
Marc,
Thanks... the technician at my host server looked into the problem... here's what he brought back to me:

"The problem with uploading files isn't a restriction in file size. I checked the settings on several courses and they're all 1MB. Our PHP & Apache configuration would not be causing this problem. I think this problem is the same problem as you mentioned in your other ticket."

My other ticket is the other ERROR problem I'm having uploading files that I posted previous to this one. I'm really stumped here.

To answer your questions:

1. Are you using a hosting service? *Yes, Hagenhosting

2. If so, will they allow you to place edited PHP.ini files in the directories that need it? *I'm not sure, I'll ask.

3. If not, do you have ADMIN rights to the PHP.ini to change this setting upload_max_filesize = ? *Yes, I do have admin rights. But here's my big problem... okay, to make a long story short... about four weeks ago I lost my webmaster and I've made a host server move and I've not yet contracted a new webmaster and I'm just not even sure, where to look for certain things... like where you're sending me here... so it's taking me probably a lot longer than most folks to straighten out problems because I'm fumbling as I go and relying on a lot of pointing of the way... does that make sense?

4. If you don't have rights, do you know a person that does? *I've been working with one of their technicians (his comments are above). I'm going to share your post with him and see what he says.

I'm going to go check out the area you mention and see what I find... I'll note that below.

by Kisma Reidling -
Thanks everyone for your input... we've fixed the problem!

Kisma