No editing needed, send it right out!

No editing needed, send it right out!

by Mary Kaplan -
Number of replies: 8

I was just thinking it might be nice to have a button to depress to immediately execute a cron job. This will instantly send e-mail. smile Sometimes, I am anxious to get things moving!

--Mary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Kaplan

Re: No editing needed, send it right out!

by Jeff Wood -

Hi Mary,

I have made a button on the "homepage" in IE and Netscape that does this.

http://www.yoursite.com/moodle/admin/cron.php 

If I want to run the cron - I just press the link.

Hope this helps clown

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by David Lamotte -
Mary and Jeff,

As I understand it, the problem is not calling the cron.php script as it should be being run every 5 minutes anyway.  Rather it would be the logic in the cron script that only emails entries in the datbase that are more than 30 minutes old.

To solve your problem you would need to copy the cron.php script, and remove the 30 minute aging check.  But unless you added some logic to limit it to your own posts,  this would remove the edit time for everyone. 

Hope that this has helped,
David
In reply to David Lamotte

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Er, there is a setting for this called "maxeditingtime" in Admin -> Configure -> Variables

You could set this to 1 minute, then run the cron script manually, then set it back.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gustav W Delius -

Why actually is this setting in the site config rather than the forum config? It only affects the forum mails, doesn't it?

And while I am in my tidyness mood: why is this discussion in the Open Social Forum and not the General developer forum.

Both questions, I realize, are completely unimportant, so don't bother replying.

In reply to David Lamotte

by Art Lader -
Mary is not a site admin, she is a teacher and a course creator (at my school). Is there any way for her to cause mail to be sent from inside one of her courses?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ah!  smile   In that case no, sorry.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Kaplan -

OK, well, it was worth a try! Thanks anyway! I will just have to grow some patience.

I still love moodle! and I am particularly happy with the 1.3. Lots of my students are commenting favorably on the calendar potential. And I have only started to find the new things about 1.3! I love new moodles! It is like finding little surprises! If I sound a little Pollyanaish, I am. Don't care, love moodle!big grin Martin you are wonderful!

--Mary

In reply to Mary Kaplan

by Art Lader -
Gee, I find unrestrained enthusiasm to be refreshing and contagious.
smile
-- Art