Capabilities to edit email, etc in User:Edit Profile

Capabilities to edit email, etc in User:Edit Profile

by Tony Delahunty -
Number of replies: 1

Well, first of all let me say that I really like Roles & Capabilities, having finally got round to a big 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade.   I know it provoked uneasy reactions a few months ago, but seems to me both powerful, and fit for purpose, and by Moodle-standards, well-documented!

One minor puzzle: I can't see how or where Authenticated Users editing their own email address in Edit Profile is prevented.  I'm happy that this is the case, as I used to have a hack in user/edit.htm to achieve this prevention (1.6, prev), but just wondered in case we want to allow it for selected roles...? 

Tony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Delahunty

Re: Capabilities to edit email, etc in User:Edit Profile

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Tony,

As you've found, a capability allowing users to edit their email address does not exist. Particular profile fields may be locked via Administration > Users > Authentication, though of course this will apply to all users.

Moodle 1.9 includes two new capabilities for allowing users to change their own password and edit their own profile - see the Demo teacher role documentation for an example usage.