GBPv2 migration to Moodle 1.9

GBPv2 migration to Moodle 1.9

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
With Martin's announcement of 1.9 nearing release, I would like to begin working on what is needed to migrate the data from GBPv2 to Moodle 1.9. Let's use this discussion thread to work toward a smooth migration from GBPv2 to Moodle 1.9.

My first question is how ought we to test for a GBPv2 install? Is there a version number available or should we check for the existence of the grade events table?

My initial look indicates that migrating the data should simply be a matter of moving the data from GBPv2 graded events to Moodle 1.9's graded items table.

Since I do not use all of the functionality of GBPv2, I wanted to throw this out there to see if there were other things that I should be looking for and to take into consideration. Once I have something that I consider functional with my data, I will make it available for testing and then propose that it be included with Moodle 1.9 code so that anyone upgrading from GBPv2 to 1.9 will not have to do anything special.

I appreciate the help in thinking this through and getting it working. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: GBPv2 migration to Moodle 1.9

by David Fountain -
Hi Anthony,

That looks to me like the best solution, it appears that they should *quite* (not having to do it myself) easily slot into the graded items.

I have a number of 'grades' that are going to become 'outcomes' so I will need to give that some thought, I've had a look at the table structure from http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Grades but have only just installed a 1.9DEV to have a play with.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by David Fountain -
Hi Anthony,
I have been playing with the 1.9 gradebook and I think I'm going to have to stay at 1.8 rather than transfer the data into 1.9 gradebook as there is some functionality in GBPv2 that I don't think I can replicate in 1.9.

My findings thus far are (in no particular order)
  • Students cannot see a 'description' of a manual grade item placed in their gradebooks in 1.9
  • Manual grades cannot have outcomes joined to them (neither does GBPv2, but it would have been a big incentive to change - I hear it may come later)
  • The facility to repeat the column headings every x rows is not there although there is the opportunity to have x number of students per page.
If I was going to jump to 1.9 now I would have to think about moving my grades from gradebook into 'offline' assignments rather than manual grades to get the functionality I think I would need.
In reply to David Fountain

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
David - Thanks for pointing these out - I will be looking into them in more detail to see what is happening. My thought was to convert all of the GBPv2 manual grades into 1.9 events. Peace - Anthony