Enroling parents

Enroling parents

by Jalil K -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Guys,

Im having a little bit of trouble trying to get the parents to view the courses their children are on. I have followed the instructions provided at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role; i.e created a parent role with the correct viewing settings, turned the maintees block on and have allocated a parent to a pupil through the roles tab. When I log in as that parent, I seem to need to enrol on the courses (I would have expected to have seen the same courses.) The Maintees block seems to be hidden so I cant see anything in there. Is there something else I should be doing?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jalil K

Re: Enroling parents

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please note that assigning a user the role of Parent does not automatically enrol them on the courses their child is enrolled on - it simply allows them to view certain information about their child, such as activity reports and grades. if you wish parents to be able to view the courses their children are on then they need to be enrolled separately.

Regarding the Mentees block, please double-check the following:
  • The capability "View user profiles" is set to allow for the Parent role
  • The role of Parent is assigned in the user context i.e. via the child's profile page
The Mentees block is only visible if both the above conditions are met.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jalil K -

Thankyou Helen,

Yes I've solved my initial problem. My parents can now see the grades through the Mentees block. Any ideas how I can upload parents into the system and allocate them the correct child wigthout having to go through manually assigning each kid?

In reply to Jalil K

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Regarding importing parents into the system, please see the discussion Importing Parents to Moodle. If it's not been done already, perhaps a request for this functionality could be added to the tracker.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jalil K -

Thanks Helen,

I'll post the question on the forum you've pointed me towards, and if I dont get any respponses raise a feature request in tracker like you have suggested.

Going back to this thread, when I log in as a parent, and then go to the Activity reports for my child, and select grade, I dont see any grades. When I log into as a child and do the same I do see the grades that the teacher has put in. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong. I've got all the user capabilities set to allow as well as user:viewdetails.