strange PPT behaviour

strange PPT behaviour

by Daniele Cordella -
Number of replies: 24
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I have a strange problem with Moodle...
from MACs I can download and open PPT resources linked in a course.
From some windows PC opening PPT documents after the download I get empty documents. The same link in the same course from a different windows PC let me download, open and see the correct PPT.
The same IE6 into different operating system.
W2k works, WXP doesn't work.

Who can this be possible?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniele Cordella

Re: strange PPT behaviour

by John Brady -
I have some Windows XP systems with IE6 and IE7, can you share a link to the problem area, so I can have a look.  
In reply to John Brady

by Daniele Cordella -
Thank you John.
I already finalized a first investigation step.
What I found is that WXP with office 2007 is not able to read old PPTs.
By dropping office 2007 and reinstalling office 2003 all is fine.

Do you have office 2007 to test it?
I no longer have PC with office 2007 on board.

by John Brady -

"Do you have office 2007 to test it?"
No, I'm on office 2000 and 2003

by Daniele Cordella -
I made one more investigation.
I found three different equipped computers. This is what happened with the same link to a PPT resource.
1st: WVista - office 2007 - ie07
-> save: fine
-> open: file seems to have only one empty slide. It was not correctly open.

2nd: WXP - office 2003 - ie07
-> open: I don't know. The file was always opened (correctly) by ie. Never by PowerPoint.

3rd: WXP - office 2003 - FF
-> open: fine

Do you have any ideas?

by Jacob Kier -
My colleague and I are having the same problem with IE7 + Windows XP + Office 2007. We just moved our classes to a brand new install of Moodle 1.8.2. We can upload .ppt files fine, they open fine when clicked on in Firefox, but in IE7 they open as a single blank slide. BUT, if you save the file from IE7 then open it all the slides appear.

I'm thinking it's a problem with IE7 and/or Office 2007. Any ideas?

Jacob
In reply to Jacob Kier

by Diane Salamone -

I am having the same problem.  We have Office 2003 and Office 2007 installed on our computers.  If you try to open a powerpoint file uploaded to Moodle it will try to open it in Office 2007 compatibility mode.  It will open to just a blank page.  Does anyone have any suggestions besides uninstalling Office 2007 and just using 2003?  Any help would be appreciated.

In reply to Jacob Kier

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, all!

Please see a similar discussion on this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=76969

We have overcome this problem with a small hack for moodle/mod/resource/type/file/resource.class.php contributed here:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10538

A manual method is to append the string
?forcedownload=1 to each powerpoint resource URL

This is a lot of work for faculty. I particularly liked the solution proposed in MDL-10538 because it only affected powerpoint files. We did not have a problem with other types of office documents.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Paul Balouris -

A.T.,

Thanks for the information.  This solution would be ideal for me as well. 

I'm not a PHP programmer; I'm assuming from MDL-10538 that the lines of code below need to be added to the file.  My question is where (in which function, or line of code should it be inserted)?

Thanks,

Paul

echo '</div>';
             echo "<div class=\"popupnotice\">(<a href=\"$fullurl\">$fullurl</a>)</div>";
         }
+ if ($mimetype == "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint") {
+ $fullurl = $fullurl . "?forcedownload=1";
+ }
         redirect($fullurl);
     }

In reply to Paul Balouris

by A. T. Wyatt -
605-616 in my file, because I added some comments.

echo '</div>';
echo "<div class=\"popupnotice\">(<a href=\"$fullurl\">$fullurl</a>)</div>";
}

//add this code to force download string to be appended to all ppt resources
//because IE7 will only show a single blank slide when linking to a presentation
if($mimetype=="application/vnd.ms-powerpoint") {
$fullurl=$fullurl."?forcedownload=1";
}

redirect($fullurl);
}

I am attaching my file, but be careful to back yours up first. Also make sure you are using 1.8.2. My Moodle version is 2007021520.
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Mostafa Itani -

Dear All,

I have applied the patch, but I still have a problem, when adding a directory and inside this directory adding microsoft office 2007 powerpoint file. The problem I am getting is the following: I am not able to open the ppt, and when trying to save it, it is saved as ppt, while the real extension is pptx. Any help around that?

regards,
Mostafa

by Paul Balouris -
I am having the same problem.  We are using Office 2007, WXP and IE7.  Firefox on the same computer opens the resource correctly.
In reply to Paul Balouris

by Laxmikant Sharma -

I am having the same problem.  We are using Office 2007, WXP and IE7.  Firefox on the same computer opens the resource correctly.

I wonder if any of you got resloved of this problem? help!!!

by Sandy Reitsma -

We are also having a problem with PowerPoint presentations.  We upgraded to Moodle 1.8 this summer.  We use IE7.  We also had the problem with PPT not opening correctly, but solved that issue (not sure how, IT took care of it).  The problem we have now is that anytime a Powerpoint presentation is inside of a folder, it will not open.  We get a white screen.  If you take it out of the folder it works fine. 

As a certain professor at our college says, "This is unexceptable!".  He likes the functionality of having folders to organize his materials.  I have tried opening the files in Firefox and it does work fine, but our institution wants to only use IE7.

Any insight?

In reply to Sandy Reitsma

by Rob Northern -

"We use IE7.  We also had the problem with PPT not opening correctly, but solved that issue (not sure how, IT took care of it)."

Are you able to ask them and post the answer here. We use XP/IE7/Office2007 and Powerpoints open index.php very strange and annoying!

In reply to Rob Northern

Re: PPT load with single blank slide

by A. T. Wyatt -
It has been awhile since this discussion was active, but one of our faculty members suggests a new idea:

"You need to add moodle.mcm.edu to Internet Explorer's trusted sites. Just allowing it to download the file results in the single blank page issue."

So you might try this FIRST and see if it solves the problem!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by James Ballard -
This only seems to occur in the following environment:

Internet Explorer 7 opening Office 2007 files on Windows XP

Updating Microsoft Office 2007 to Service Pack 1 seems to resolve this.

Yours
James

In reply to James Ballard

by A. T. Wyatt -
Agreed! But it took a long time for that service pack to come out! I remember an extremely similar situation with Windows 95! Again, the SP solved it, but we were stuck until it was released.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by mike coutanche -

I am trying to add this into our resource.class.php file but am having problems locating the correct line to add the code into.

We are currently still on version 1.61 so we are a little behind and have an upgrade scheduled but need this fix to work in the mean time.

Could anyone help please?

I have attached our file if anyone can help!

In reply to mike coutanche

Re: PPT load random image

by Neil Prior -
I've found an intermittent fault when moodle delivers powerpoint files. I don't think i have managed to replicate it in a Firefox browser (but the network manager doesn't want to use it) but have found it on IE 6 and 7

strange image

The exact same image is displayed regardless of who created the presentation or the original content

Has anyone had similar problems or know of a fix?
In reply to Neil Prior

by Mike Turpin -

I have the same problem and was wondering what the easiest fix is?

All of these posts seem to be from last year so has anyone found the solution?

In reply to Mike Turpin

by Kelly Collins -
Try saving your powerpoint as a powerpoint show.  Then from "add a new resource" in moodle click "link to a file" and on that page in the "window" options box check the box "force download".  Fixed the problem for me. 

by Mike Turpin -
It is An Internet explorer issue. I have swopped to firefox and it solves the problem. Firefox is a good browser anyway so a happy fix.