Do groups work with forums?

Do groups work with forums?

by John Ryan -
Number of replies: 9
I have set up a forum for a single discussion in a course which is set to force separate groups and I have set the option in the forum to separate groups. I have added the original discussion that I want students to reply to.

However, students cannot post to the forum; they do get a "reply" option but it only produces an error message that says they cannot post (incidentally missing a string in the language pack -it show up in ).

Strangely, students who are not in a group can reply.

I can get it working if I remove the separate groups setting on the course and the forum but the number of students is large and it will get confusing for students to have so many replies.

Am I setting this up incorrectly? or is it a bug.

Sorry for the cross post - I originally asked this in the Forum Forum but nobody replied.
John Ryan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Ryan

Re: Do groups work with forums?

by seaghan moriarty -
Hi John,

this is something to do with the Role of the person who created the forum in the first place.

I am stuck trying to achieve exactly the same thing but the above might be a helpful starting point! smile
In reply to John Ryan

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
Hi All,

I'm having the same problems version 1.8. The instructors created 6 groups, then created a forum. When a student selects the forum they can read what the teacher posted, but can not reply. We've added the teachers to all of the groups, but it didn't change a thing.

Some of the instructors are getting pretty frustrated by this, and it's the beginning of the semester *eek*!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ellen,

Sorry I don't have chance to check out the problem you describe, however I suggest you look in the tracker to see if anyone else has reported a similar problem. If you can't find anything, please add a report yourself, providing as much detail as possible, then post the report number in this discussion for others to watch/vote for/comment on.

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Ellen. There are a few settings to check when using groups in forums, but the most common error I see is that teachers forget to make sure they select their group from the drop down menu in the forum BEFORE they post. Teachers will see the forum with "all participants" listed in the drop down menu by default. Just because they are assigned to groups does not mean their posts will be assigned to that group by default without them choosing the correct group when posting.

If that was not the error that occurred, there are a couple of other settings and possible role tweaks that need to happen. Let me know if you need further assistance. Best,

Lesli
Attachment Picture_3.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
HI Lesli,

Actually what I had to do was to add the instructor to each group. When I did that, however, the instructor could only access the grades for one group. I then had to go into course settings and change the group setting from "no" to "visible". Then a dropdown menu appeared in the gradebook that allowed her to see everyone's grades.

Thanks,
Ellen

by Lesli Smith -
Those would be some of the additional settings I was referring to, but I'm glad you figured it out already. smile
In reply to John Ryan

by la ra -
Yeah ofcourse if the teachers being a part of it means then its very easy for the students to gather the information.Even while i am trying to post,i too got the same error.But i don't know those problems occurring.
--------------------------
lara

New Jobs