Setting media player size in hotpot quiz problem

Setting media player size in hotpot quiz problem

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,
I have made a hotpot quiz where students are required to answer a question by choosing from the correct answer from two multichoice response audio files(mpeg-3) that i have embedded in the answer section. The problem is that although I specify the height = 30 and width=100 of the wmv player, when i go to view the quiz in the browser, the player always shows a size much greater than i set it to. (If I choose multi-select instead, then the player size i specified remains intact).

I have tried to force the media plug in in the hotpot activity settings, and while this does keep the flash player size small, the audio speed is too fast and unintelligible.

Is there a way to keep the specified wmv player settings intact in the quiz using the multichoice answer function, or if I use the force media plug in in the hotpot activity settings, to make the flash player sound intelligible and play at normal speed?

Any help appreciated!

cheers
Robert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Setting media player size in hotpot quiz problem

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> ... choosing from the correct answer from two multichoice response audio files(mpeg-3) ...
> ... I specify the height = 30 and width=100 of the wmv player ...

Perhaps I have not quite understood your terminology, but it seems odd to try to play mpeg-3 files in an "wmv player". Do you mean the Windows Media Player (wmp?)

Please could you zip up the sound files and quiz and attach them to your next post to this forum, or send the files to me, or upload them to my server, so we can see exactly what the problem is.

thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Martin Holmes -
Also, could you confirm that the quiz validates as XHTML 1.1 when it's outside of Moodle? If the code isn't quite right (for instance, if you didn't put quotation marks around the width and height values), then the browser may not be able to read them.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by robert maran -
Hi,
It works outside moodle with the same results- i.e. embedded audio files when placed in the "multichoice" answer frames don't retain the height and width settings that I specify for the wmp. However, if I use "multiselect" , the wmp seems to read and comply to the size of the player settings I specify. (My quiz answer options only have two possible choices for each question, so I would prefer to use the "multichoice" option, rather than the "multiselect").

Cheers
Robert
p.s. Just thought that this is probably not a moodle problem, and maybe I should be posting this somewhere else like a hotpotatoes forum? If I should, then please direct me to appropriate site.
In reply to robert maran

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

It sounds as though this is a straightforward Web page problem. You're welcome to post it to the Hot Potatoes forum here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotpotatoesusers/

Please make sure that you include a link to the file on a Web server somewhere. I suspect this is a simple issue -- as soon as we can see the page, I expect we can sort it out.

Cheers,
Martin

by robert maran -

Hi Martin,

OK  I have done as you suggested and put up post on the forum you said. Forgot to add that browser is IE 6.0.29 (windows).

Cheers

Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Martin Holmes -
I've answered you on that forum. Everything looks OK with IE7 (don't have IE6 on my current machine). What do you see with IE6, exactly?

Cheers,
Martin

by robert maran -
hi Martin,
What I see, despite setting the wmp to 100x3, is that IE6 doesn't recognize the size of the player and the size is something much larger, like height 240x whatever width.

Sorry for posting it here. Now realize it is not a moodle issue.
Robert
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon,

Yes i did mean wmp not wmv- sorry about that mix up.

I see that the max size for attaching files in 100kb, and my file which also contains audio is 630kb, so I will if you don't mind upload it to your server as "strategytimetothink".

Thanks

Robert