Problems opening Hotpot exercises with Internet Explorer 6

Problems opening Hotpot exercises with Internet Explorer 6

by David Wong -
Number of replies: 7

Hello folks,

I am using IE 6.X, Moodle 1.8.2 on a Mac OS server and after answering the first question in any hot potatoes Multiple choice quiz, I get the following error:

"A required parameter (attemptid was missing)"

This only occurs in IE 6 for Win.  Firefox for Win and Mac work fine.

I've attached a copy of one of the quizzes that Hot potatoes produces in HTML form.  Sorry, I had to zip the file in order to upload it cause of the max file size limit upload...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Wong

Re: Problems opening Hotpot exercises with Internet Explorer 6

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

This was made with a truly ancient version of Hot Potatoes:
Made with executable version 6.0 Release 4 Build 22)

If you rebuild the exercise with the current version
and still have the same problem, we'll take a look at
it, but if this is a bug it was most likely fixed a
long time ago.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by David Wong -

hi Martin,

I also remade it with the latest version from the halfbaked site and got the problem in another course section.  this problem did not occur with version Moodle 1.7.X.

So, yes, the problem still exists with IE 6.  I've attached a copy of a MC quiz made with the most recent version of Hot Potatoes if you want to see it.

d

In reply to David Wong

by Martin Holmes -
The error message suggests that this isn't part of the Hot Potatoes code, since there's no "attemptid" parameter or variable in the HotPot JavaScript. Gordon, could this be something from your code?

Cheers,
Martin

by David Wong -
I also thought this was more to do with Moodle because these same MC hot pot quizzes worked fine in Moodle 1.7. I'm using 1.8.2. BTW, I also changed the number of quiz attempts from unlimited to 10 to 2 attempts, saved the changes and still got the same error every time.

by David Wong -
Martin and Gordon,

Well, I downloaded the most recent version of Moodle 1.8.2 and replaced the Hotpot module itself (update in 6/27/07 release notes) and the bug now has disppeared. Looks like Gordon fixed it but he may want to post the update to the modules download page for others who are running vers. 1.7 or 1.8.

I tried the MC hot pot quizzes for IE 6 and firefox on win and safari and firefox on the mac side and no attemptid problem.

thanks for checking into this.
In reply to David Wong

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Paul, Martin,
sorry not to have responded earlier.

There was a problem with this error message a few weeks ago:

But as you have found, it is fixed in the latest releases of the HotPot module.

> Gordon ... may want to post the update to the modules download page for others who are running vers. 1.7 or 1.8.

Do you mean the download page for Moodle modules and plugins? That has two versions of the HotPot module, one for Moodle 1.6 and one for the Moodle 1.9. I don't think there is a download intended for Moodle 1.7 or 1.8. Hmm ... mixed

I am bit worried that you have not installed the correct version of the HotPot module for you site.

Since the the HotPot module is part of the standard Moodle package, the recommended way to update it is to update your entire Moodle site. If you cannot update your whole site, or do not wish to, then you should download an entire Moodle package to your PC, unzip it, extract just the "mod/hotpot" folder, and upload that to your Moodle site.

The HotPot downloads on the Moodle Module and Plugins downloads pages are only really intended for people with Moodle 1.6 or earlier, or rash daredevils (and developers!) who run the "development" branch of Moodle, sometimes called the "head" branch. One day this will become a stable version called Moodle 1.9, but for the time being I recommend you stick with downloading a stable Moodle package, and using the "mod/hotpot" folder from there.

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by David Wong -
Gordon,

This is exactly what I did below....

>>>
... then you should download an entire Moodle package to your PC, unzip it, extract just the "mod/hotpot" folder, and upload that to your Moodle site.>>>>

thanks for responding...

d