Now you can share directories with other courses

Now you can share directories with other courses

by Teemu Sumi -
Number of replies: 12
I have planned a tool which makes it possible to share directories with other courses. Teacher's choices of courses are allowed to use a specific directory (read only) in resources and in file manager.

If you are interested you can test that feature on http://moodle.opitaan.fi

You need two courses and two teachers.

username: donald
password: dd

username: mickey
password: mm

Courses: Mickey Mouse's course, Donald Duck's course

In file manager there's a button "Go to shared directories". If you make Uploaded file resource, there's that same button.

Teemu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teemu Sumi

Re: Now you can share directories with other courses

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

This is a great idea. Have you tested this tool?

I found an other tool on your site: private message. How can I get this tool?

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Teemu Sumi -
Private message is not ready yet but I will share the code. Now it works but I must use global variables angry. I must work a little bit.

Directory tool is not tested heavily but I will share the code next week.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I really like this approach!  Very easy to understand and manage!  It's a bit like publishing categories in Quiz, and a bit like sharing folders in Windows.  Very nice.
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Bryan Williams -

Uploaded a file in Donald Duck and made it share. Found it easily in Mickey Mouse. Works like advertised, very NICE feature. I see real possibilities for this before/if a DMS is included in Moodle.  The publishing idea is very attractive if share resources were placed in read only public storage. They might then be available across Moodle's.  Wonder about a tie-in between Private Message and Online Users?  Maybe a number after your name in Online Users that indicates how many private messages you have waiting.

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Ger Tielemans -
Having all shared material as read-only is a very important point!!
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi teemu,

great feature! I've tried it with one resource and it works nice and simple! Having it working in other Moodle areas (quizzes, htmleditor?...) would be wonderful!

One only comments (for now wink):

How do you see in the "owner of directories" course, what dirs are shared? Perhaps a different dir icon and/or an "unshare" text will be helpful.

Only one idea, congratulations and ciao. smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Teemu Sumi -
I haven't thought about quizzes yet. For HTML editor it will be quite easy. I will try something to mark a shared  directory.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I think it would be ideal if the share/unshare interface was very integrated with the normal files interface.

The shared folders from other courses could just appear as normal folders in the main Files area (with a special icon and no "share" link on them) ...   Floating the mouse over these could tell you what course they were shared from (using "title")

Clicking on them will take you into the folders and normal browsing/viewing.

I must say, I really like the potential simplicity of this dynamic way of sharing folders, Teemu ... it's one of those good ideas that seems obvious only AFTER someone thought of it, and they are the best kind.

The DMS should have this too, later.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Papaioannou -
Sure. All it will take is the equivalent of chmod o+r, easily accomplished with just a few clicks. Of course, this way someone has to go find your folder in the tree, but we will have search.

If that's not enough, we 'll do something else. But I guess all these issues are moot until it's actually up and running.

Jon

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -
OK. I will make the changes.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Just tested the feature, very interesting and easy to use. Congrats.
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Teemu Sumi -
SORRY GUYS!

I had to change those two passwords because this is the site I do all the programming. When the new version is ready I change the passwords again.

One file manager to rule them all big grin