How to install or enable UNICODE

How to install or enable UNICODE

by Euqueria Zamora -
Number of replies: 13
Hi everyone,
I cannot continue Moodle instalation because "UNICODE" is required to be installed/enable" ...HELP,please!!!!

Euqueria
Attachment verde47.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Euqueria Zamora

Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Richard Enison -

EZ,

I presume you are installing Moodle 1.8 at least, since that is the first version that requires a Unicode database (I believe it has been optional since 1.6). If this is a new installation, you need to create an empty database first (which I presume you did or you wouldn't have gotten as far as you have), and that database must be set up with Unicode (UTF-8) as the default encoding. If you are upgrading an existing Moodle installation to 1.8, you need to migrate the database to UTF-8 first. So what needs to be done, and how, depends on

1. whether you are installing a new Moodle or upgrading
  2. what kind of database you are using (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.) and what version
  3. what operating system you are using (Windows, Linux, etc.) and what version
  4. whether you have hands-on access to your server, or telnet/ssh access, and/or some virtual host utility such as cPanel or Webmin

RLE

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Enison

Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Karl Øyri -
Hi RLE,
I have the same problem. Get the message
unicode
is required to be installed/enabled. Check
durring Moodle install.
Have installed phpMyAdmin, and it shows the following;
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
and
MySQL connection collation:utf8_unicode_ci

Despite this, the Moodle Install says ;You must solve all the environmental problems (errors) found above before proceeding to install this Moodle version!

What can I do?
Cheers Karl
In reply to Karl Øyri

Re: Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Richard Enison -

KO (with a slash through the O),

Speaking of Unicode, I'm not even going to try to produce that letter! wink

Anyway, if the collating sequence of all the tables in your database is utf8_unicode_ci (and that's a big if), then see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=73896#p329599, a previous post of mine that will refer you to an even earlier post that will tell you how to get Moodle to recognize your database as valid.

RLE

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Karl Øyri -
Hi RLE,
Rødme yeah..uh..the O with a slash is common in Scandinavian names..

Finally sorted out the problem in phpMyAdmin from:
Databases -> clicked my database -> clicked Operations -> and changed the Collation from latin1_danish_ci to utf8_general_ci
Simple as that!
Thank you for helping!
Cheers
KO (with a slash through the O)

In reply to Karl Øyri

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Richard Enison -

KØ,

You're welcome. I usually don't post or e-mail a msg just to say you're welcome, but if I have something else to say as well, might as well bundle them together.

I was aware the Ø was a letter in the alphabet(s) used by Scandinavian languages, and I think I know how it is pronounced, although I have no idea how following it with a y affects that. I was hoping you would not be offended by my remark, and you do seem to have a sense of humor. smile What I was saying is that there were a bunch of posts in the forum waiting for an answer, several of which I determined that I could answer, but it was going to take some research to do so properly (finding the right links, etc.). In the interest of getting my answers out ASAP, I wanted to spend my time on the research and the posting and not take time away from those things to try to find that Scandinavian letter on the Unicode table of characters. Now that there is a lull in the forum, I can take the time to post this explanation.

Just for laughs, after finishing this post I clicked on the special characters button to see how long it would take to find the Ø: not as long as I thought! So I replaced the phrase "O with a slash" with Ø.

RLE

PS I couldn't help noticing that in your e-mail address, you use an ordinary O (no slash).

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Karl Øyri -
RLE,
just to trigger your curiosity, we use the letters æ, å and as you know ø, but in Sweden the ø is ö.
Smil KO (with a slash through the O)

In reply to Karl Øyri

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How to install or enable UNICODE

by Scott Brubaker -
Thanks for the reply. This is what I had to do for this issue and it worked out great.
In reply to Karl Øyri

by Jonathan Konrad -
I am now having exactly the same problem, but it is unexpected. These are the steps I followed to arrive at this problem.

First I installed Moodle 1.7.x on a RedHat 4 Es server. Ran for a few months. Then I updated it to 1.8.x. Ran again for a few more months.

Now I need to transfer Moodle (no problem, I've done this lots with Moodle 1.6.x). Transfer web, transfer moodledata, transfer (dump and restore) mysql to new server now on RedHat 5. Rename config.php config.bak, and start the Moodle install/config to get this up and running.

Only now it stops at the UTF-8 error as described above. How can this be? I was running 8 before. MySQL is reporting the following on the new server:

character_set_system utf8
collation_connection latin1_swedish_ci

collation_database latin1_swedish_ci

collation_server latin1_swedish_ci

If I have to change something here, does anyone know the sql command? I do not have phpMyAdmin installed. Thanks.

-Jon (jonathankonrad@gmail.com)

Ok, here is more info from mysql. I think I need to change things, but how?
character_set_client latin1

character_set_connection latin1

character_set_database latin1

character_set_filesystem binary

character_set_results latin1

character_set_server latin1

character_sets_dir /usr/share/mysql/charsets/

collation_database latin1_swedish_ci

collation_server latin1_swedish_ci

In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Jonathan Konrad -
By adding the following to my.cnf I got a bit farther:
[mysqld]
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci

mySQL now reports:
haracter_set_client latin1

character_set_connection latin1

character_set_database utf8

character_set_filesystem binary

character_set_results latin1

character_set_server utf8

character_sets_dir /usr/share/mysql/charsets/

collation_database utf8_general_ci

collation_server utf8_general_ci

Still, Moodle will not install. Please, any help?
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Jonathan Konrad -
Ok. found my error. The previous db was indeed set to utf8, however, when I created a new database on the new server (before I imported the data with the dumped sql file), I did not specify that this database uses utf8.

All I had to do was delete the new db. Create another new db, this time specify utf8. Then bring in the data using the dumped sql file from the old server and all is well.

Thanks to anyone who was reading along and trying to help.

Jon

by MIchael Dean -
I'm having a similar problem installing 1.8.1 with postgresql 8.2.4 and php 5.2 on a gentoo linux machine I own. After converting the database to utf8 encoding, the install still would not proceed. I tracked down the encoding it was seeing in install.php as SQL_ASCII. I was able to use php's pg_set_client_encoding() in a separate test to set the client encoding to UTF8, but moodle doesn't seem to be doing that... Any ideas?
In reply to MIchael Dean

by Richard Enison -

by MIchael Dean -
That helped... I had created a database with ascii encoding, which errored out. Then I simply dumped the entire database cluster, reinitialized with utf8 encoding, and restored. The process preserved the ascii client encoding for the new database. I have dropped the empty moodle database and recreated it. It works now. Thanks.