by Warren Kleinman -
Number of replies: 4
Basic 1.8 install
no modifications
database 4.1.22
mysql 4.4.6
php extensions all enabled

chat_method =normal

Administrators can access chat and opens fine. But students cannot open chat at all.. they don't get the prompts once clicking on a chat to:

Click here to enter the chat now, or (Version without frames and JavaScript)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Warren
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Kleinman

Re: Students can't access chat

by Warren Kleinman -
OK I found a solution but I don't like the solution...

I had to assign each student as a student in the global roles, but that seems kind of over kill shouldn't each person who is logged in automatically be a student in the global roles until specified otherwise? or am I missing a step here someplace in my configuration settings

Thanks

Warren

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Warren,

Please note that the default role for all logged in users is Authenticated user (as set in Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies).

I assume you're referring to a front page chat activity, rather than a chat activity within a course. If you assign users the global role of student then they will be enrolled on all courses. You may wish instead to assign users the front page role of student via Administration > Front Page > Front Page roles. Alternatively, you could edit the Authenticated user role via Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and allow the capabilities to talk in a chat and read chat logs.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Warren Kleinman -
Helen,

Thanks for the response, after playing around with it several times, I decided that I would give Authenticated users the ability to talk in chat.. and that solved the issue.. You were correct that I wanted a "lobby" style chat room in my main area not associated with any particular course.

Thanks for the help..

Warren

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi again Warren,

I'm glad to hear you've solved the issue. smile

I've recently learnt that it is better to use a front page roles Authenticated user override (via Administration > Front Page > Front Page roles and the Override roles link) rather than editing the Authenticated user role permissions. This is because Authenticated user role permissions are applied to every logged-in user across the whole site. You probably won't notice any difference in the two methods, however I just wanted to mention the "proper way" of doing things. wink