Grading for Units + assessment criteria

Grading for Units + assessment criteria

by Andrew King -
Number of replies: 3
We've been playing around with the Gradebook, but don't seem to be able to come up with a solution to a fairly significant problem with our course grading systems.

Our courses are assessed by a number of units, these units consist of assessment criteria, these assessment criteria are covered in a number of projects.

My problem is this: I deliver 18 units, each consisting of around 7-8 assessment criteria which needs to be graded. so that's around 150 grades in total.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this in the gradebook, I'm fairly new at Moodle and I'm finding this aspect incredibly confusing!
In reply to Andrew King

Re: Grading for Units + assessment criteria

by David Fountain -

Hi Andrew

Sounds very like the OCR Nationals course.

I have one course per project. Criteria are ring-fenced in courses at the moment but I think gradebook 1.9 will allow us to cross course boundaries with regard to recording assessment.

Criteria are graded simply pass/fail.

I use gradebook plus and added in my criteria which I then simply give a value of 1 to indicate a pass and 0 to indicate it is incomplete. You could also create offline assignments which add a space for a grade in the gradebook without requiring students to interact with moodle at all, or create assignments that allow for uploading so that they can submit their evidence for assessment.

I created a block for displaying this to students.

If I have not covered your requirements please clarify and I will think of how else you can achieve your goals.

Dave

In reply to David Fountain

by Andrew King -

Thanks for your reply Dave.

We are running the Btec Nationals, I have got the grade types working using the scales tool, and I can setup an assignment per unit which works for tracking.

I really need something like this;

1. 18 Units that contain individually assessible assessment criteria.
  2. Assessment criteria are then linked to assignments.
  3. Assignments are then graded and the assessment criteria feeds back into a unit tracking sheet.

From what you say this may be possible with 1.9, but at the moment Moodle has the features I need, they just don't have the functionality.

Do you know if it is possible to setup a grading column in the gradebook without setting up an assignment? Can you do this in gradebook plus?

Thanks.

In reply to Andrew King

by David Fountain -

Yes, this is exactly what is possible with gradebook plus. Rather than creating 150 offline assignments you create columns which are not linked to any assignment.

I did write a hack to gradebook that allows me to upload such columns using a CSV file but it certainly isn't production style code (ie I'm happy to use it knowing if it goes wrong I'll have to sort it!wink)

The criteria reference block, below, was a response to my students asking for more visual feedback in relation to their progress. The AO1M4 is one of the columns I created using Gradebook plus. HTH

Grading