NWiki: create wiki , student and grous out of a template: documentation

NWiki: create wiki , student and grous out of a template: documentation

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 7
This is an old request for wikis. To be able to create a wiki (simple, groups or students ) starting with a wiki template (a set of pages exported).
The version that Pigui is going to release (due yesterdaywink ) includes this feature.
This is the documentation that the developer: Esther Galimany has prepared. In our documentation site that we will eventually move to moodle docs (anyway is written in mediawiki markup wink ) I copy and paste.

Wiki template

How to create a template

Step 1: create content

Create wiki and insert the content, the name of wiki isn't important because, when you import the template in a new wiki, you can choose the real name of wiki. For example:

wiki_template1

Step 2: create template

Choose the option Create template in the block Wiki-Administration Tools

admin_tools_fletxa_template

Step 3: choose options template

Choose the options of the template into a form. You can choose that all pages or only some pages will be added to template. You can choose if you want historic, blocks configuration, votes and synonymous too. And name of wiki template, the destination is fixed.

form1_create_template

Step 4: confirmation template

Confirmation that the template has been created succesfully. Press continue and return to view of wiki. when you want you can use the template in a new wiki, in the moment of creation the wiki. confirm_create_template

How to create a new wiki with template

Step 1: adding a new Wiki

Into the form to creation or adding a new wiki, after the name, summary and firts page name you see the next parameter in the form: Content from template. Under this there ara a button to choose the concret template with a popup menu.

choose_template1

Step 2: choose folder wikitemplate

Into the popup menu choose the folder wikitemplate

popup_templates_folder

Step 3: choose template

Into the folder wikitemplate, choose the folder of course that contains the template, and click in the word Choose the concret template that you want.

IMPORTANT! if you wiki are wiki with groups, the template will be replicated automatically for every group.

choose_template_concreta

Step 4: finish the creation wiki

when you are finished the creation wiki, press Save Changes, and your wiki will be contain the content of your template. If is wiki with groups every group have a wiki content of template. But every group have your wiki.

That's it.
comming up more new features for the future moodle wiki wink

Ludo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: NWiki: create wiki , student and grous out of a template: documentation

by John Ryan -
I downloaded the version for moodle 1.8 from Crom's Lair last night.

It installed OK (without any errors).

I tried to set up a template by following the instructions above and that worked up to the last stage when trying to use the template.

I only get the option to browse my own computer and not one to browse the course files -where the template file was created (the file were created in the course files folder).

I did download the file to my computer and then uploaded it again but it didn't get used on the wiki I created.

I would be grateful for any help on this as I think the template concept is going to be essential for the use my colleagues.

Thanks
John
In reply to John Ryan

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
The current version in crom's lair is one week and half old and I beliebe that the templates engine is not fully deployed in that release. We are making extra tests in the comming up release because the BIG guys are going to test it and we don't want to faild there :-s
On monday morning the new version is comming up and I'll make sure to check the two issues you reported John.
Cheers
Ludo

by Marc Grober -
Its now months after the initial discussions on the templates and I am in a quandary...... Our moodle is at 1.8.2 and I really want to stay as close to core functionality as I can. There seems to be such continuing discsussion fo wiki issues that it is likely that a change from the wiki in 1.8.2 is months and months off.....

So, is there a how to as far as installing Nwiki to 1.8.2 and will I lose all my existing wikis if I install Nwiki? If a subsequenmt version of moodle, lets just say 1.9 for grins, employs some new wiki (let's call it the Spanish Inquisition, as "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition") what is going to be the impact of an upgrade to that hypothetical 1.9 on my 1.8.2 cobbled up with Nwiki moodle?

The improvements are really exciting stuff, but I am concerned that the cure is worse than the illness, if you know what I mean....

by Marc Grober -
I am now very confused.....

I installed the 2008080801 version on Moodle 1.9.2+ and everthing seemed to go smootly (though the installaton instructions do not mention turning blocks on in the theme....)

Unfortunately, once I got the thing up and running I looked in the admin block and amazingly enough the create template entry was missing ..............

What happened?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Mark Smith -
Marc,

Same question (no 'Create Template'). Did you ever find a resolution?

TIA,
Mark
In reply to Mark Smith

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
templates had several bugs, and we took it off nwiki for 1.9 due the lack of people available... sorry
I'm creating an issue on the tracker to add templates to Wiki 2.x I hope we can code it before Moodle 2.x goes out of beta