PDF file viewing

PDF file viewing

by John Trasler -
Number of replies: 1
We are using moodle 1.6.5 and have found inconsistencies for students when they are downloading PDF files.
With a firefox bowser (version 2 and the previous version) a blank new window appears with no file apparently there. There is no file if we use the same window.

With the same content on Internet Explorer we can open the files (although it requires several clicks to get round browser security). However some of the files get damaged or missing messages.

We have checked all the PDF files and they are all OK so we can only conclude there is a bug in the moodle system opening the PDF files which causes this inconsistency.
Are we the only people having this problem as its a real pain for some of our students.
Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Trasler

Re: PDF file viewing

by Sven Laudel -
Hi John,

we also have some trouble opening certain PDFs.
Opening those few PDFs with Firefox AND Adobe Reader PLUGIN causes the PDFs not to render correctly. I think it also happens with the Adobe Acrobat Plugin. Changing behaviour to not to open with the Plugin, instead downloading the PDF first and then opening it with Adobe Reader or Acrobat works, the PDF is rendered correctly.
The error messages are the following: "Es ist ein Grafikfehler aufgetreten" and "Nicht genügend Daten für ein Bild". Don't know the exact translation in the english version, but it should be something like: "A graphic error occured" and "Not enough data to render the picture".
Opening the PDF from a webserver directly works also as it works with Internet Explorer, because IE doesn't support the Adobe Plugins in my testing environment. So IE is downloading it first and the opening with Reader directly.

I attached a picture of the erroneous PDF in Firefox.

Thanks for your help...
Attachment schneider_error.jpg