DF Wiki

DF Wiki

by Daphne Singingtree -
Number of replies: 1
When is the Wiki module by Ludo and his team in Spain likely to become standard? I used the old one in 1.5 and found it very difficult to use. I after fighting with it a while, I lot patience and gave up. I am now using 1.8, and in the process now of starting a new school and we are training teachers right now in Moodle. I would like to have them use DFwiki as it sounds better.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daphne Singingtree

Re: DF Wiki

by Stuart Anderson -
The plan is that it will become standard in moodle 1.9, although I think the final decision about this lies with Martin at moodle.org. The project is led by Marc whom I am sure will reply to you as well.

I can only give my own opinion on the comparison of the old wiki to the new version. The new wiki offers far more useful tools to use in an educational context. You can still use the familiar HTLM editor if you like, but I am rapidly coming around to the opinion that I want my users to use the dfwiki (mediawiki-like) interface mainly because it contains buttons specifically tailored for the wiki e.g. create page button. Using the dfwiki interface also tells users instantly that "this is something different" and therefore encourage people to think more how they use it. The presentation of content looks so much better in the new wiki if you choose to use the dfwiki interface and the side blocks to support it really should help users be more productive.

All-in-all I want this to be part of moodle 1.9 and want to use it over the old wiki. There are still a few bugs to be ironed out, but overall I've had far less problems with it that the old wiki.

Hope that helps.

--Stuart.