guest access in 1.7 confusion

guest access in 1.7 confusion

by Bob Irving -
Number of replies: 2
Perhaps guest access doesn't work the way I thought it did. My understanding was that if I set up "guest access with key" in a course, and then supplied a person with that key, that they could then click on the Guest button to get into the course, and they would be prompted for that key, and then they would get read-only access to that course.

However, clicking on the Guest button does nothing -- ie, they are not prompted to enter the key. If they already have an account, they can log in with their account info, and THEN click on the guest button and get prompted for the key.

Am I missing something here? And is it done differently in 1.8, since we're planning to upgrade this summer.

TIA,
Bob

ps -- default user role is Student in site administration.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Irving

Re: guest access in 1.7 confusion

by Amy Groshek -
Bob, new changes with 1.7. See if this clarifies for you at all:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=56914

You may need to have autologinguests set to off.

Also make sure that the global role of student isn't interfering of the behavior of the site (that the site isn't treating all users as students instead of guests, and therefore responding with an action not controlled by guest access settings at all).

A
In reply to Bob Irving

Re: guest access in 1.7 confusion

by John Isner -
I'll take a wild guess that the default user role should be Guest, rather than Student.