Your suggestions: Command Line installer for Moodle

Your suggestions: Command Line installer for Moodle

by Dilan Anuruddha -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all,
I'm working on the above mentioned project as a part of my GSOC 2007 project. So I'm interested in knowing what you would like in it most. I'm planning to implement almost all the things that the web installer provides(except for graphical interfaces of course smile ). I'm more than glad to implement your wonderful suggestions!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dilan Anuruddha

Re: Your suggestions: Command Line installer for Moodle

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Dilan

I can not figure out what you plan. Firstly you are not using MS Windows, do you? Otherwise the command line (CL) will defeat the whole purpose of having "Windows".

If Unix, the script or whatever you want to build will greately depend on the flavour of Unix, or in case of Linux the distribution. Sure one can include the flavour as a configuration parameter. Still you should know which values it can take!

In my openion, compiling "tar-balls" is the most universal method for Unixes. I have documented the LAMP part on Slackware Linux for teaching purposes, but haven't thought of "automating" it. Have a look at the attached file to get a feeling how it looks like. It is (still) in German, what a relief!, the commands are universal.

Colombo Campus has built up a strong team of Unix system administrators, attached to UCSC http://www.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk/ You may contact them for more information, mention the communication here at moodle.org

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Your suggestions: Command Line installer for Moodle

by Dilan Anuruddha -
First of all sorry for being so late to reply. I really appreciate your suggestion and willingness to help.
Let me clarify some of the points here.
As enterprise improvements I'm planning to develop a Command-Line Installer for Moodle that will run on all the platforms that Moodle run.
That means all the scripts will be done using PHP.
These scripts can either be run attended or unattended. So fully scripted installation is possible
I know many will say if you want to run Moodle on large scale, it should be on a Linux/Unix platform. I agree. But I know you will agree that there are other platforms like Windows, etc with CLI support. So we have to support them according to the Moodle concepts smile.
Wiki on the project is available at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/Enterprise-level_improvements