Program Tracking or Transcript - Module Available?

Program Tracking or Transcript - Module Available?

by Ken Gibson -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I am looking for a module (or perhaps and hack to the student's profile page) that will display the following information for a student for either their view (or an admins view):

1. Summary list of all courses they have taken (within moodle)
  2. Summary list of the final grades for each course
  3. Total Progress towards completion of the program (courses, GPA, etc.)

Sort of like a transcript and student progress report rolled into one. 

Currently, we manage 1-2-3 in a program-wide master static spreadsheet, but I need to be able to back-end this into our moodle database.

Any ideas appreciated!

Ken    

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Gibson

Re: Program Tracking or Transcript - Module Available?

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Ken,

Did you ever get a response to this post? Trying to do the same thing here and keep hitting dead ends.

Thanks,

Mark.
In reply to Ken Gibson

by Tom Cox -
Hi Ken,

I ran into the same problem with Moodle some time ago. Last I looked, reports/transcripts across Moodle course is still not simple or cement. Look into SMSs (Student Management Systems) that will integrate w/Moodle, or consider pulling reports directly from the SQL tables and using certificates, or the like, as milestones in a course.

The Moodle for business uses forum is also full of info about the best ways to display custom transcripts.

The new 1.9 gradebook is going to make this cross-course stuff easier?

T
In reply to Tom Cox

by Lance Hinds -

If anybody knows about Student Management Systems that will integrate with Moodle please let me know

Regards

Lance

In reply to Lance Hinds

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello all,

I've been exploring this issue for almost a year now and, unfortunatley, have had little success.

I started a thread about using the database mod for this type of thing here and have been using that thread to document my exploration and musings.

Along the way, I have stumbled across various Student Information Systems (SIS) and Student Management Systems (SMS) but haven't found any that really met my needs. It didn't appear to me that they would integrate with Moodle easily either.

Nontheless here's a list of the options I have explored. Some of these are duplicates of links that can be found in my database mod post.

SIS/SMS
PowerSchool (Commercial)
Focus SIS (Open Source)
Centre (Open Source)
SchoolTool (Open Source - Plone - Looks promising but is still in development)
DART - Data Analysis and Reporting Toolkit (Open Source)
OpenIntel (Open Source - data management)
OpenCentre (Open Source - SIS)

Database Management
I posted a bunch in my database mod post
I'm currently experimenting with DabbleDB
You can find a ton of online database tools like Dabble at Office 2.0 Database

I have a need and desire similar to Ken's, I think, in that I would like to be able to aggregate data that already exists in my Moodle site (student names & numbers, courses enrolled in and completed, attendance records, grades, etc.) as well as some data that is not in Moodle (assessment test scores, teacher schedules, etc.) I thought it would be nice to gather all this data using the Database mod but I'm afraid that it is too limited to function this way.

For now, DabbleDB looks like it is going to serve my immediate needs. Down the road however, it would be nice to see the Database Mod and/or the gradebook evolve such that either can be used to collect and manage student data to function like an "administrative portfolio".

Jason

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by maggie buckner -

Hello all, I am having the same kind of issues. Basically, I want to show students a progress bar of how far along they have been to a series of courses for a certificate program. Something similar to the one that Coursera is using:

Has anyone had some progress on this? Thanks.

In reply to maggie buckner

by Keith Murray -

We too are very interested in this type of multi-course tracking block.  We have found nothing that really performs as intended for this type of use.  We utilize the course status tracker block but there are known limitations and issues.