Moodle 1.8 performance issues related to roles

Moodle 1.8 performance issues related to roles

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 7
I have discussed with Jeff Graham and Martin Langhoff about this, and Jeff has documented some of these performance issues in details here:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9617

Martin Langhoff discussed some of there in this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=69085

I wonder if anyone in the community also experienced these slow loading performance issues after upgrading to 1.8? These issues seem to be related to the roles implementation that does NOT like large number of courses (not scaling well). Any comments or thoughts? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Moodle 1.8 performance issues related to roles

by Jürg Hoerner -
The performance of 1.8 is very slow.

Apache had a memory overload and get out of work, when about 10 students logged in the quiz module.

I installed 1.8 on two servers. Both are slower as before with 1.7.
In reply to Jürg Hoerner

by Ger Tielemans -

My friend on another Dutch school has a big performance loss with 1.8 (See Dutch Moodle)

I hesitate to upgrade from 1.6.x (one other reason is the broken course format: project)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Wen Hao Chuang -
After the most recent patch (more details on MDL-9617) I think Martin and his team fixed most of the performance issues (especially when log in as a admin), we are doing some more performance profiling here at SFSU with 1.8, if anyone found any slow loading pages (especially with large number of courses), could you please post those particular php pages here? Thanks!

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Wen - While a separate issue and one that I have not had a chance to track down since 1.6 was how to deal with a slow loading page in the assignment module. When I have assigned 300-600 word online essays and then go in to view about 80 students worth I find that it takes about 20-30 seconds. If you get a chance to look at the submissions page I suspect some improvements could be made. If not, I have it on my list of things to track down but at this point I am simply trying to make it through until the end of the semester. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Anthony,

Your issues may be related to MDL-7577

Not sure though, that seemed to help at HSU with slow load times for viewing assignments. That may be able to be cleaned up a bit, but it seemed to do the trick on our 1.5.4 install.

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Anthony Borrow -
Jeff - Thanks for pointing me to 7577. I do have those indexes and the queries still seem uncharacteristically slow. When I get some time I will go in and do a little more thorough poking around to see what is happening. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Wen - I just created MDL-9948 regarding the /mod/assignment/index.php page being very slow to load (121.342788 secs RAM: 2.1MB Included 53 files DB queries 2211 Log writes 1 ticks: 12135 user: 7371 sys: 40 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 1.59 Record cache hit/miss ratio : 0/0 ).

I also noticed that using the gradebookplus_v2 patch to handle exceptions is very slow (
78.18208 secs RAM: 2.6MB Included 122 files DB queries 1462 ticks: 7819 user: 1950 sys: 5 cuser: 0 csys: 0Load average: 0.86 Record cache hit/miss ratio : 0/0).

I will be traveling and away from the school for 2 weeks; however, I am happy to help out with testing as I can. Thanks for tracking these down. I will be heading out to study at the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley in August to begin a program of studies. I look forward to having the chance to meet you in person. Peace - Anthony