Default Language and related issues in Moodle 1.8

Default Language and related issues in Moodle 1.8

by Oscar Yanez -
Number of replies: 7
Hi everyone,
I just updated to Moodle 1.8 (from 1.6) and now I am having trouble setting the site-wide default language (which I need in spanish, es_utf8). The option appears in the dropbox within the "language settings" admin page, I can activate the language from the homepage dropbox also, but the next time I visit the moodle server, language is still english. What is it that I am missing? Thanks for any help on this.... Ah! and one more question to you all: where do I change the default word for "Teacher"? I can't find the box anywhere!
Oscar
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oscar Yanez

Re: Default Language and related issues in Moodle 1.8

by Tomislav Raseta -
Hi,
I am also having trouble with the same issue. I've upgraded from Moodle 1.5 (first upgraded to 1.6 and did unicode migration, then 1.7, then latest 1.8).
When I visit front page with Firefox, language is English, including the login screen, and when I visit front page with IE, language is correct (in my case Croatian), including the login screen. The default language is set to Croatian.
Tomy

In reply to Tomislav Raseta

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,

the site language is now overridden by browser setting. Please check your browser settings and select preferred language there.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Oscar Yanez -
Thanks for the tip Petr, this works perfectly.

by Martin Samuelsson -
As Petr says, the language shown when not logged in is overridden by the browser, if there is a list of preferred languages in it.

The reasoning behind this is that if your site can respond in several languages, it should respond in a language the visitor understands and prefers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Samuelsson

by Tomislav Raseta -
Thanks for the tip, after correctly setting up Firefox it worked perfectly!

Actually, I don't want my site to be multilingual - is there any way to force only one language?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I just committed a fix into cvs 1.8+ and HEAD, the detection now respects the $CFG->langlist settings MDL-9559.

You can for example specify cs_utf8,de_utf8 if you wish only these two languages available/detected; you can specify only one language too wink

I am working on some more fixes related to langlist now.

by Pedro salazar -
where is this in Firefox configuration??