Problems with Hot Potatoes

Problems with Hot Potatoes

by abdou Naoui -
Number of replies: 13
Hi everybody,
I have compiled many HotPot exercises for my students on Moodle in a zipped files along with all the images and eventually sound files! When I want to view these exercises all the images are missing as well as sound files..
What's wrong? I'm using the latest version of Hot Potatoes.
Thanks for helping me out!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to abdou Naoui

Re: Problems with Hot Potatoes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You need to check the URLs used in the images.

I suspect that your problem is caused by one of the following:
  • the images and sounds are not uploaded to the server
  • the images and sounds are on the server but are not in the same position, relative to the quiz, that they are on your PC
  • you are using PC file paths in your URLs, e.g.:
    file:///C:/My Website/images/image.gif
  • the permissions on your "moodledata" folder are not sufficient to allow Moodle to access the images and sound files
  • the "slasharguments", setting on the Admin -> Configuration page of your Moodle site, is not correct for your server
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thank you for uploading the quiz "question1.html" to my server.

The image "iavlogoanim.gif" does not show because you have not uploaded it to my server. For this particular quiz, you need to put the image in the same folder on the server that the quiz file is in.

If you need help on how to upload images and sounds to your Moodle site, please let us know.

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by abdou Naoui -
Hi Gordon,
How can I solve my problems mainly those of the following:

• the permissions on the "moodledata" folder are not sufficient to allow Moodle to access the images and sound files
  • the "slasharguments", setting on the Admin -> Configuration page of your Moodle site, is not correct for your server.
Thanks for telling me
Cheers
In reply to abdou Naoui

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Abdou,

I don't think you need to worry about file permissions an the "slashargument" setting. From what I saw when you uploaded your quiz to my server, I would say you simply need to upload the images and sounds files to your Moodle site.

Gordon
In reply to abdou Naoui

by Martin Holmes -
Could you tell us how you uploaded the exercises into Moodle? Also, have you tried using the SCORM output from Hot Potatoes in Moodle?

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by abdou Naoui -
hello
I have uploaded the HotPot html files along with the images.. in a zipped file but there seems to be a problem..
I haven't used the SCORM output from HP in Moodle but I 'll try this solution!
Thanks Martin
In reply to abdou Naoui

by Martin Holmes -
How did you create the zip file? The best way to do it is using the zip file output command on the File menu in Hot Potatoes. When you use that command, the program should automatically normalize all the file paths to your images.

Cheers,
Martin

by abdou Naoui -
Hi Martin
In fact for the first time I used the Zip software then later I used Moodle to zip all the activities!

Cheers
Abdou
In reply to abdou Naoui

by abdou Naoui -
Hi Martin I have just upgraded HP but there seems I still have some minor problems regarding images! They simply don't appear on the quizzes!!! I am attaching the zipped file that I have prepared with the zip tool in HP! Cheers Abdou
PS: the zip file could not be uploaded; I'll send it to you mailbox
In reply to abdou Naoui

by Martin Holmes -
I didn't receive any zip file, I'm afraid.

Are your image files on the same hard drive as your HotPot data file?

Cheers,
Martin

by abdou Naoui -
Hello Martin
Could tell me how to use the SCORM output ?
Thanks
Cheers
In reply to abdou Naoui

by Martin Holmes -
Click on the File menu, then on Create SCORM 1.2 Package.

If you don't see that option on your File menu, then you have an old version of Hot Potatoes and you should upgrade to the latest version.

Cheers,
Martin

by abdou Naoui -
Hi Martin
That's why I don't have that SCORM function on my HotPot because I have an old version! I am going to upgrade it!
Thanks Martin for all your help!
I'll let you know.
Cheers