Keeping Individuals Visible but Marks Separate...

Keeping Individuals Visible but Marks Separate...

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

When the visible mode (Groups) is switched on,  teachers are able to see the marks of students in other groups (though they can't see the submissions). I imagine this does the trick for people who use the grouping function to split up marking (no need to hide grades) but I'm using it to separate differnt schools (1 group = 1 school) who participate in a common course. I need to keep marks private (teacher only sees marks from her/his students. Has anyone created a work-around for this? Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

Fernando

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: Keeping Individuals Visible but Marks Separate...

by David Le Blanc -
I have a couple of courses setup this way on my server. The way I got it to work was to assign separate groups and assign teachers without editing rights. Teachers without editing rights can only view (and mark) the students within their assigned group. They will not see other students, nor their marks. smile 
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Fernando Oliveira -

Setting the group mode to separate renders all groups private, which is not what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to keep all the functionality that comes with the visible groups mode turned on (allowing students from different schools to communicate and learn with each other is a key feature of the program), while limiting access to grades so that teachers can only see grades from their own students (i.e. in their own group). Basically, I need to disable the visible groups toggle on the Grades page (see attached pic) so that teachers are unable to switch groups or fix it so that the grades for students in other groups don't show up (I'm assuming that with this feature disabled, there is no other way for teachers to see grades for students in other groups! mixed).  IMHO, being able to keep groups visible and marks separate is a very useful option that should be a standard feature of Moddle wide eyes. Comments? Suggestions? 

Thanks,

Fernando

Attachment visible.JPG

by Fernando Oliveira -

I'm reposting my last message, which was posted in the forum but not emailed to subscribers... I think this happened because I edited it (actually, I replaced it with a new message altogether) around the 30-minute mark... anyway, please disregard my last message (addressed to David) . Here's a repeat of the message I actually meant to get out mixed:

Setting the group mode to separate renders all groups private, which is not what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to keep all the functionality that comes with the visible groups mode turned on (allowing students from different schools to communicate and learn with each other is a key feature of the program), while limiting access to grades so that teachers can only see grades from their own students (i.e. in their own group). Basically, I need to disable the visible groups toggle on the Grades page (see attached pic) so that teachers are unable to switch groups or fix it so that the grades for students in other groups don't show up (I'm assuming that with this feature disabled, there is no other way for teachers to see grades for students in other groups! mixed).  IMHO, being able to keep groups visible and marks separate is a very useful option that should be a standard feature of Moddle wide eyes. Comments? Suggestions? 

Thanks,

Fernando

Attachment visible.JPG

by David Le Blanc -
Fernanado. Here's a bit of a work-around solution for you. Something you could do is setup a seprate course instance that runs parallel to your course with separate groups. The parallel course would use the Social format. Everyone would be enrolled in both courses but would only be able to see one another within the Social format course. In moodle you can make direct links to other sections in another course. Here, you would have links to the discussion topics organised around the learning activities where it is helpful for learners to exchange their ideas. This parallel course could open in a separate window or in the current browser window. Opening in a separate window would allow learners to dialogue with the all the members of separate groups within the new window.      

by David Le Blanc -

I'm sorry Fernando. I misunderstood your post the first time. If you make your groups visible, instructors will be able to select to see other students' marks. If you make groups separate, then they will not be able to see others' marks; however, nor will they be able to see one another. see the two images below:

visible groups

visible groups

separate groups separate groups

I suppose it is a trade-off that you will need to discuss with your instructors. If they want to see all the participants in other groups then they will have the option of viewing the others' grades. If however they cannot see the other participants they will likewise not be able to view the others' marks.

In my situation, I have two and three cohorts (separate groups) moving through courses simultaneously. This means I only have to upgrade the content for one course for everyone that is using it. Teachers talk about their issues, including development and pedagogical approaches within the course's teachers' forum, visible under the instructor's admin panel. smile     

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
I think changing the line
$currentgroup = get_and_set_current_group($course, $groupmode, $changegroup);
in course/grades.php to
$currentgroup = get_and_set_current_group($course, SEPARATEGROUPS, $changegroup);
should do what you want.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Fernando Oliveira -

David, Zbigniew...

Thanks a lot for your help. I think it's working now. I'll be doing some testing over the next few days just to be sure.

Fernando