I need to transfer a moodle-site, can i use backup?

I need to transfer a moodle-site, can i use backup?

by Jean-Paul Geerets -
Number of replies: 10
hi folks,

im new here.
i hope this Q isn't posted by someone else before.

im only an technical admin of the moodle site.

i have to transfer the *complete* moodle site, including all date inside, mysql database, etc etc from domain_1 to domain_2.

can anyone give me advice how to do this?
is it possible to use a backup function for this job?

all help is welcome!!

thanks in advanced!

Jean-Paul
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Paul Geerets

Re: I need to transfer a moodle-site, can i use backup?

by Chris Lamb -

The basic answer to your question is "yes".  Back up all the courses and download the resulting zip files to your computer.  Then go to your new Moodle installation, upload the zip files, and then go through the 'Restore' process for each one.  If you've got a lot of courses then it will be a long and tedious job, because you'll have to do each course individually, but it should transfer all the courses from one domain to the other.

I'm assuming that both domains are using the same version of Moodle.  If they're different versions that may cause problems, in which case check the Moodle site for information about upgrades, or hope that someone else answers your question here!  smile

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

Can I download Moodle directly to a server elsewhere?

by Keith Swift -

We are transferring our present moodle, but also maybe adding a separate #2 moodle.  My Dumb question:   Is it possible to download the latest Moodle via the Moodle download/a> page - directly to a server at another location other than my computer?  How?

I am reading at http://download.moodle.org/, but do not want the copy here on my pc, but rather at our server across the country!

In reply to Keith Swift

Re: Can I download Moodle directly to a server elsewhere?

by Chris Lamb -

As far as I'm aware you can't download Moodle directly from the Moodle download page to a remote server.  You'll have to download the zip file, unzip it on your own machine (you don't have to get it up and running on your machine, just unzip the files) and then FTP them to your remote server.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Keith Swift

Re: Can I download Moodle directly to a server elsewhere?

by Just H -
Hi Keith

Depending on the access to your server you have, I'd recommend using CVS to install and maintain any site.

See the docs as a starter.

regards
H
In reply to Chris Lamb

what happens to all the internal URL linking?

by Keith Swift -

In this process of transferring, what happens if I take a course to another domain?... what happens to all the internal URL linking? ...now that they are in another domain and the old url links have to link to the new domain resources, etc.  Do all the links get changed automatically?

In reply to Keith Swift

Re: what happens to all the internal URL linking?

by Chris Lamb -

All the URL's are relative, so if the files are in the same relative positions (and you've got the paths right in config.php) then Moodle should find them.

For test purposes I copied one of our live Moodle installations from our webserver to my own machine last week, and it all seems to work, the links are okay.  You should have no problem transferring to another server.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Just H -
Hi Chris

Not sure how you managed it but I think you'll find that Moodle actually uses absolute links for material that is uploaded (see this thread as an example). It's one of the hassles of moving domains. There is a php find and replace function built in now to deal with it as mentioned in the thread referenced above.

regards
H

In reply to Just H

by Graham Moir -

Guys - can I just clarify what is meant by "material that is uploaded".  If I have, say, a video file that I've uploaded to be part of a lesson on a course, does the absolute reference issue come into play  ?  If so how does this work with regard to backup and restore ? 

I assumed that backing up a course would take all course components with it and so restoring into a different or local moodle on a laptop say, would restore all components AND the course would work without any further tweaking.   Am I to conclude from the discussion that actually after the restore I need to replace all the links to course files/components ?

thanks

Graham

In reply to Graham Moir

by Just H -
Hi Graham

Uploading any file, such as the "video" in your post, results in an absolute link to that file.

Re backup and restore; have never done one so not speaking from experience but I read somewhere in these forums that the links are rewritten during the backup and restore process so that it works seamlessly (if it didn't there would be major problems!).

regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Graham Moir -
Harry - thanks for the feedback - I agree there would be major problems so it does look as though the situation is handled by backup and restore, would just be useful to have that confirmed 100%