Moodle 1.8: problem with external zip/unzip

Moodle 1.8: problem with external zip/unzip

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi folks

I'm finding that Moodle 1.8 (latest CVS version) is not working with external (Linux) zip/unzip. I have set the appropriate System Paths in Server configuration to /usr/bin/zip and /usr/bin/unzip (where the executables are located!) but unzipping uploaded course files, and other zip/unzip-dependent processes such as course backup/restore, fail.

If I leave the Server>>System path entries blank, i.e. use Moodle's internal PHP zip/unzip routines, everything works OK - but my previous experience (Moodle 1.6) was that the external routines performed better and were more robust.

Anyone else got the same problem? (I may be doing something daft - with permissions etc).

Using CentOS 4 (RHEL 4 clone) with zip-2.3-27 and unzip-5.51-7.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

Re: Moodle 1.8: problem with external zip/unzip

by Larry Elchuck -
For what its worth, I had the same problem with CentOS a few weeks ago and I used the same solution that you did (just left the paths empty).

larry

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
FYI - For what it is worth, on Ubuntu I was not able to reproduce this. Zip/Unzip seem to work fine. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Thanks for the rapid feedback.

Our Moodle 1.6.3+ 'production' server, running the same CentOS 4 Linux version (kernel 2.6.9-42.0.10, though 64-bit rather than 32-bit) and exactly the same versions of zip & unzip, has no issue - so I'm not sure quite what is going on here mixed.

by Larry Elchuck -
I first tried with 1.7.2 and had this issue.

larry
In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Larry & Anthony

Following your feedback and subsequent head-scratching about possible 'peculiarities' of Red Hat-type Linux distributions, I realised I had SELinux (Security Enhanced Linux) switched on for our Moodle 1.8 'development' server blush .

Switching SELinux off (from system-config-securitylevel) and then rebooting (shutdown -r now) solved the problem big grin.

Hoping this helps to sort things for you too Larry, and anyone else with similar issues with SELinux-enabled Linux distributions.

Of course, I suppose I should work out how to configure SELinux properly!

Thanks again

Geoff