Learning standards: Important things about e-learning standards and SCORM (in right forum)

Learning standards: Important things about e-learning standards and SCORM (in right forum)

by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 2

Just a copy and paste form the "Some price info I have found (WebCT, Blackboard)" discussion at "Open Social Forum":

Some important things to know about e-learning standards and SCORM:

Most e-learning platforms such as WebCT and Blackboard (commercial) or Atutor, and Dokeos (Open Source) and OKI architecture  are currently SCORM compliant. Many content authoring tools such as Dreamweaver, Flash and Director (from Macromedia) are SCORM compliant too. Most important organizations do not accept any e-learning platform that is not SCORM compliant. It guarantees that the courses made in it are easy reusable in other platforms.

So, SCORM is becoming the "standard on e-learning standards right now", specially for content management.

IMS series of specifications (standards when they are aproved by ISO or IEEE) and SCORM reference model (which includes several specifications such as IMS, AICC, ARIADNE, Dublin Core and IEEE) ARE XML based. So, XML is included in them.

We already have a SCORM module in development at Moodle.org (it has its own Forum). It seems like it is starting to work properly. Other open source e-learning plaforms, such as Atutor and Dokeos (Claroline fork) are already SCORM compliant. We could learn from them and even reuse their code.

So, I do think that it would be really great if we could include the SCORM module into the next Moodle release (1.3). Since the one after this (2.0) is a major rewrite and other SCORM related work is not planned until 2.1 (by the end of this year), I think we would better not wait for it, and start using the current SCORM Module. That could be also rewritten for 2.0.

What do you think about it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Learning standards: Important things about e-learning standards and SCORM (in right forum)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would like to see the SCORM module working first .. nothing I've tried with it has worked (and these were "standard" modules from the SCORM site).  So it still needs some good testers providing good feedback.   wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Learning standards: Important things about e-learning standards and SCORM (in right forum)

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Martin,
please send me the modules you have tried or give me a link to them.
The SCORM module at this time support ONLY 1.2 SCORM Packages, I've found some packages from ADL site and they are 1.3 (aka 2004). They don't work because ADL changes API function names in this new version. I will add it but after that the SCORM module will ADL certified, now I'm working on this stuff.

Bobo.