Feedback Question Types and Moodle Question Database

Feedback Question Types and Moodle Question Database

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
As part of MDL-9140 (a request to include the feedback module into Moodle core), MartinD indicated that he would like for the feedback module to use the Moodle question database (like the quiz and lesson modules do). This will require (in my estimation) significant modification to the feedback module.

To start the discussion about how such a transformation might take place, I have reviewed the various feedback question types (/mod/feedback/item) and tried to map how they would correspond to the existing question database types (/question/type).

check -> multiple choice, multiple answers (i.e. check boxes)
dropdown -> basically a multiple choice, single answer (i.e. radio) except displayed differently
dropdownrated -> basically a multiple choice, single answer (i.e. radiorated) except displayed differently
label -> description
numeric -> numerical
picture -> basically a multiple choice, single answer with each option being a link to a picture (I need to refresh my memory on how images were being handled in questions. I know there have been improvements to the interface and accessibility to the images)
radio -> multiple choice, single answer
radiorated -> multiple choice, single answer with a rating associated with answer
textarea -> essay
textfield -> shortanswer

The first question that comes up in my mind is how to handle the RATING of questions. My initial inclination is that it could be a multiple choice question where the percentage correct is used to determine a numeral value for the rating. The default value of the question could hold the upper range value.

The second issue that occurs to me is how to handle DROPDOWN and dropdown rated questions. Currently there is no question type that produces a dropdown list; however, this is essentially a multiple choice, single answer type question. Is there an advantage to maintaining the dropdown list. Should this be a feature request for the multiple choice question type (i.e. how to display). In feedback there are a couple of display options that could be useful to the question type (i.e. display horizontal, display vertical, and I think dropdown could be a third display option - rather than a different type of question). An argument could be made that it is better for quizzes and perhaps feedbacks for all of the choices to be visible; however, this comes at a real estate cost (i.e. screen space) which the dropdown option helps to conserve.

Ideally, existing feedbacks items should be able to be converted to the question database format.

I would be interested in any thoughts, issues, concerns, etc. that others might have about the possibility of such a conversion. In particular, I would interested in Andreas' thoughts, concerns, and hopes for the feedback module. Peace - Anthony
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Feedback Question Types and Moodle Question Database

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Anthony,

first sorry for my bad english. I'm hoping you still understand me.
I do not know whether it is really a good idea to use the questions database for the feedback-module.
There are some reasons against it:
  • questions for feedback do acquire data for evaluation. For example it does not make sense to define percents for right or false answers.
  • not all types of quiz-questions are useable for feedback. For example how should a teacher use the cloze-questiontype for feedback?
  • How should the questions to be structured? How a teacher can differ quiz-questions from feedback-questions?
  • If there is a need for more plausibility checks so it is easy to create new items. For example you ease can develop a date-item and so on.
  • Now the main thing: Many users use the feedback-module due to the fact that it is so easy to use. Questions can be created very easy.
I think the questions database is a great feature to use with quizzes or lessons but not for feedback.

Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

Re: Feedback Question Types and Moodle Question Database

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Andreas - First, your English is better than my German; however, with the help of BabelFish I was able to make sense out of most of the comments. I think you raise some good points as to why feedback items are different than questions and those points are worthy of consideration. Ultimately if MartinD chooses to have the feedback module included into Moodle core it will be his call. To that end, I will copy your comments to the developer's feedback documentation page. I agree that it is easy to create the feedback items and this provides great appeal to our users. Questions are less intuitive. Peace - Anthony