Calender on main page?

Calender on main page?

by Debasis Satapathy -
Number of replies: 15
I have already tested development moodle1.3 version.There I have got the calender and it is working nicely.
But I think it is better that user can see it in main page.
So how to get it in main page??
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debasis Satapathy

Re: Calender on main page?

by Debasis Satapathy -
If we will go inside the course, we can see calender.
Can we get it in main page?

by John Papaioannou -
Please wait for the 1.3 final version to come out. Until then, you will have to look at the code and do it yourself.

In reply to John Papaioannou

by Debasis Satapathy -
Yaa,I am trying out with the code.
Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

by Timothy Takemoto -

So the current nightlies come with the calendar is that correct?
I would like the calendar at least for a screen shot for the moodle presentation in Japanese.
Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Debasis Satapathy -
Yaa If u install development moodle 1.3 you can get calender when you go inside a course.
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by W Page -
Hello All!

I hope in v1.3final that the placement of a calendar on the main page is optional for the Admin via the Administration page (Config - Variable Window??) as well as being optional for the Course Creator  (Via Course Edit Page).  Students should also have the option of creating a Calender for themselves if possible.  that way the placement/creation of the Calendar is more flexible (similar to the HTML editor) depending on what each level sees as a need.

Just some thoughts

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Bryan Williams -

WP,

Stayed tuned, the "blocks" concept that Jon and Eloy are working on is going to kick things up a notch or two in this area.  Screen positioning of Calendar and ALL other sideblocks will probably be a part of 1.3, I have this working on my test site now. Don't know about site homepage and Calendar, but it is certainly easy enough given what Jon has done so far. Site homepage is just another course format in the database, so if we see a Blocks GUI emerge in Admin area, you will probably have Calendar on the homepage if you want it.  Students being able to create their own personal display will probably not happen in 1.3, there are some reasonable hurdles that would require time on this AND, it would probably steal a little thunder from v.2.0. big grin

Bryan

In reply to Bryan Williams

by W Page -
Hi Bryan!

True "Block Positioning" will be very helpful in the display flexibility of Moodle. And, I think I remember Jon or someone else indicating that students will eventually be able to create their own calendars as a personal choice if they want to.. Frankly, I cannot see why a student would not want to.

Just an additional question for clarifiction.
Will the Calendar automatically link to an activity or task due on certain dates?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Bryan Williams -

WP,

I'm sure calendar linking to due dates will happen, but I would be real surprised to see it in 1.3.  We have to remember how new this feature (Calendar) is, and probably be grateful to see it in the 1.3 build.  There will be all kinds of opportunities for others to build on the calendar code in the future.  How about being able to use Calendar for scheduling Chat collaboration among just group members, and popping up or e-mailing a reminder. tongueout 

Bryan

by W Page -
Agree! tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout tongueout                 

WP1  

by Marc Dastous -

Ok,

A couple of comments on this discuss...

1. The linking of the calendar to due dates already exists in the current version of the Assignment module.  Martin updated it last week http://moodle.org/download/modules/.
  2. If I understand the discussion correctly, doesn't the ability for students to create their own calendar already exist?  This would be a function of the User Events link on the monthly calendar?

In a reply I received from Martin, he is working on modifying some of the other mods for release with 1.3 Final.

One bug that I did find, and reported, is when an assignment is deleted it is not automatically deleted from the calendar.  Stronk7 picked this one up and is apparently the lead on fixing this. 

Another bug I found was that the calendar is not restored to a new course from the backup.  Also reported, but not yet picked up.

Looking VERY much forward to the implementation of the blocks.  I have yet to be able to implement them with the directions provided sad  That's ok, for someone who had not used PHP until 6 months ago, I think I am doing pretty well wink

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Bryan Williams -

Marc,

Point 1: Just tested this on my 1.3 dev site and indeed Assignments do show up in the Calendar. big grin

Point 2: Students (User in Calendar lingo) can create their own events. I believe we were discussing whether students would be able to change where Calendar appears on the course homepage in relation to other side blocks, for their unique id.  I don't think this will happen in 1.3 release, although it could happen soon as the technical reasons are not that great under Jon's "blocks" scheme.

Calendar is not restored from backup because it is not part of the Moodle code yet.  I suspect Eloy will have that changed any day now.

Bryan

by Bryan Williams -

Debasis,

Right now calendar blocks code is only available for the "Topic" format while it is being proven as a concept. Typically, a sites homepage is a "Social" format course. You could probably put calendar on the site homepage now if you changed the format to Topic. This all has to be done manually and requires you to add one new table to your database, and modify another.  It is very possible that blocks will be included as a property in the Admin Config GUI when v.1.3 is released.  You will probably then be able to put calendar on the site homepage. 

Bryan 

by Debasis Satapathy -
Dear Bryan,
I changed it to topic format, but still I am unable to put the calender in homepage.
Do you have any codes or blocks to put the calender in main page?

by Bryan Williams -

Debasis,

No, and you should probably wait until calendar is completed.  What's the rush, this is a brand new feature?

Bryan