Failed upgrade, Site locked in maintenance mode, how do I get it out of maintenance mode?

Failed upgrade, Site locked in maintenance mode, how do I get it out of maintenance mode?

by Nic Freeman -
Number of replies: 2
After a failed upgrade of my moodle site to 1.7 (Error: Main databases NOT set up successfully), my site is locked in maintenace mode and I do not see any way of getting it out of maintenance mode. I have tried overwriting the failed upgrade with a previous 1.5  backup and it is still showing as version 1.7 and does not give me any of the administration options. Nor does it allow me to 'turn editing on', it's missing completely. How do I recover the work the children have put in to assignments in one of the courses. The only backup I can find is not the most upto date version. How do I access the database? Where is it? Can anyone help me, PLEASE.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nic Freeman

Re: Failed upgrade, Site locked in maintenance mode, how do I get it out of maintenance mode?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Find your "moodledata" directory where your files are.

In there you should see a folder named "1".

In there will be a file called maintenance.html. Just delete that and you will no longer be in maintenance mode.

As for the failed upgrade, perhaps you can explain exactly what you did so someone can help sort that out for you too.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Failed upgrade, Site locked in maintenance mode, how do I get it out of maintenance mode?

by Richard Enison -

MD,

I think this thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=68228#p307165 will give you the background on this case. As you can see, NF says he tried that and couldn't find the file.

By the way, you will also find in that thread a post by me questioning the seemingly contradictory use of the phrase "site files folder" in the Moodle docs. Perhaps you can clear this up for all of us.

In the meantime, maybe I'll get some chicken Moodle soup.

RLE