Mac OSX and HTML editor

Mac OSX and HTML editor

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 10
I am slowly learning HTML, but still wonder if HTML editor will work properly on a Mac. Firefox will display the buttons, sans icons, in the editor toolbar. I did allow for "change images" for scripts in my preferences, so it cannot be that. But worse, it will stall the connection, and eventually the site becomes inaccessible. Sounds strange but has been replicated now several times.

This is a good way to learn HTML, which takes some extra time, of course.

More curious than desperate.

Thanks.

S
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: Mac OSX and HTML editor

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Steven smile

I am typing on Mozilla now with my iMac runing OS 10.3.  Mozilla even has a WYSWYG editor for editing static web pages like Netscape Composer.   Try it.

Don

Attachment hinkelman.jpg
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Steven Day -
Thanks Don. Eloy pointed out to me that the problem could be my router/firewall. He had a similar problem a few months ago. This makes sense since I continually get timed out while editing pages on my site with the HTML editor. So I'll work on the network aspect of it. I also do want to learn HTML, so it's an opportunity too.
In reply to Steven Day

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Steven,

about your issue with Firefox, could it be possible that you are using any Router-Firewall that is dropping your conections thinking it's some type of attack (or something similar)?
I can remember one situation, some months ago, when I had to increase the number of avaliable conections to avoid one router/firewall detects the situations a some type of PoD/DoS attack, becoming the site inaccesible (from my computer).

I'm using the HTML editor now, with Panther, Firefox 0.8 and I've tried it against different Moodle sites. All seems to work fine.

Ciao, smile

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Steven Day -
Thanks Eloy. Yes, it is possible that our router and firewall are causing problems. Because everything hangs when using FF and the HTML editor, it could very well be this. My host also notes that there are no problems when they trace my site, even though I'll have problems accessing it.

Do you recall what you did exactly? For now, I can turn off the firewall, though that is somewhat troublesome. Or I can keep learning HTML!

Thanks for your help.

Steven

PS Yes, it IS the router/firewall. I just turned it off and FF displayed everything correctly and quickly. Now I will contact both SMC and my web host to see what they recommend. Thanks so much for the insights and help.
In reply to Steven Day

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suppose that your firewall administrator will be able to modify some rules to leave all working, sure.

Anyway, learning HTML is a highly recommended thing. big grin

Ciao smile

by Steven Day -
Firewall administrator? I guess that would be me! Do you recall what you did in terms of settings? My web host refuses even any casual advice. In any case, yes, learning HTML is worthwhile. Now I just think of it as another language to learn.

Thanks for your help, Eloy.

Steven
In reply to Steven Day

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If it is a firewall problem, I am assuming your network adminstrator will tell you what to do.   But also don't forget to uncheck the firewall settings in your own machine as well.  I often forget about that.  (See preferences >> sharing)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Steven Day -
I guess I am the administrator, which gives me pause. Yes, I do have double firewall protection: first on the router, then on the OS itself. Overkill, I would guess. At this point, I may just add to some of the HTML I already know and forget about using the editor.

Thanks Don.

Best,

Steven
In reply to Steven Day

Uh, oh,

I remember what I did, but I don't know if it will help you. Basically, I suppose that you have your Mac and one router to connect to Internet (ADSL, Cable...). You have to login to your router and modify its firewall settings to allow more connections (certain status of them only) from one IP. But it depends absolutely of your router's interface... sad

Ciao smile

by Steven Day -
I looked a bit at the router already, trying to figure it out. To be honest, I'm not very knowledgeable in networking. Maybe I'll just turn it off when necessary, or learn the html coding for the buttons featured on the editor.

Thanks again.

Best,

Steven